Dalai Lama

Closed Thread

Dalai Lama

I was just wondering what was the Lama doing in a famous Hollywood STEAK restaurant????????????

Single Malt shots with Richard Gere?

He was probably trying to stir up controvesy on the internet in order to address that most pressing of concerns- the worldwide surplus of question marks.

Maybe he was hungry?

(BTW he's not vegetarian).

Sorry, my mistake. I thought that all ordained Buddhist monks are vegetarian. That is why I was surprised to see him in the restaurant.

I'm sure they have vegetarian options .... given that its California!

Anecdote:

On an international flight, Jane relates, a young woman sitting next to him in First Class apparently watched stupefied as she watched His Holiness tuck into a beef steak. Unable to conceal her curiosity, she turned to His Holiness:

"Aren't you the Dalai Lama?" she asked. His Holiness looked at her. "Yes, I am," he said.

"But you are eating a beef steak," the woman sputtered. "Not all Tibetans are good people," he responded, eyes twinkling with mischief.

Meh.

All Tibetans are Buddhists, but they still eat dried yak meat. It's hard to grow vegetables in Tibet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Koala:
    Sorry, my mistake. I thought that all ordained Buddhist monks are vegetarian. That is why I was surprised to see him in the restaurant.
    I was more surprised to hear he dropped into a lap dance joint after dinner

Haven't met a vegetarian Tibetan Buddhist monk yet, despite working in a seriously traditional Tibetan area for a couple of years.
    The standard method for providing fresh meat without incurring any bad karma for oneself - as explained to me in all seriousness by any number of Tibetans:
    Place thick muzzle filled with either mud or wet hay securely over the nose and mouth of the animal whose meat is desired. Go away for 30 minutes. Amazingly, when you return you will find that the animal just happened to die in your brief absence. (I assume that the muzzle acquires the most horrific karma after it has been used for a few years)