Like Tree2Likes

register a charity in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question register a charity in Hong Kong

a friend is looking to register a charitable organisation in Hong Kong, and would like to know the effort and expense... the organisation is a boarding school for orphans registered (as a school) in China.

he was told by someone it would cost circa HKD 6,000 to register; for this money, he can support three children for one whole year! why so expensive? anyone knows a cheaper way?? thanks a lot.

Well it comes down to the cost of running a charity.

If he is happy supporting just 3 kids, then seriously there is no need to register it. Similar to say, if you were selling stuff at school fairs for a little bit of pocket money and had no desire to expand as a business.

The charity registration will give him the legitimacy, specially when it comes to getting corporate donations (which is where there the serious money is).

www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/ach_tgc.htm -- good starting point

thanks! I found that already
    although this does not have practical info on how one goes about setting up and registering a charity, and the estimate of expense.
    however, a lawyer friend of mine has just replied by email saying that the expense of drafting the legal statutes of a charitable organisation may well up total up to the amount i was quoting before. the registration fee itself is not as significant. but any company , charitable or not, is required to register the same minimum set of documentation.

You should tell the lawyer to do it pro-bono. Insist on it if he/she is a friend or senior enough in a firm to write the expense off.

Good knows they suck the money out of their commercial clients, there is not excuse for them to be quoting fees for charity cases.

thanks for your support, KIT!!
    I am now looking for a HK lawyer willing to do a pro-bono work... any one interested, you are very welcome!! or any websites that would allow to search for such lawyers. I'll also email the Law Society of HK and the Law Institute...
    cheers all!

http://www.choosehklawyer.org/en/index.asp

Look for the firms that offer free consultation - that is a good starting point.

funny, i came across this site two days ago (doing a different search) but completely forgot the address although remembered there was something like that
    - THANKS again, I will definitely use them!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    http://www.choosehklawyer.org/en/index.asp

Look for the firms that offer free consultation - that is a good starting point.
    hmm just took a second look... free consultations are not offered in the area of company registration (under which I think charity registration is falling under)
    wrote to the Secretary General of the HK Law Society, see what comes out of it...

in the mean time, if there are lawyers out there willing to help, i'd love to hear from you!! IN EXCHANGE, I would make you a business plan, or any financial model, this is MY area of competence
    Last edited by Khema; 15-01-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Hey you two

I am interested in registering a charity here in Hong Kong as well. How did everything turn out? How much did you end up paying and did you find a lawyer how did the paperwork pro-bono? What complcation did you run into?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast