Learning to drive in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Learning to drive in HK

Hey guys,

I just had a few questions about driving in Hong Kong. I'm a permanent resident here who has four months (June to Sep) free before heading off to uni...so:

1. How do I become a driver in HK?

2. Is four months enough time to achieve this?

3. Any good driving schools that can be recommended?

As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, PDLM.

But does anyone recommend any good driving schools?

Thanks!

I would take a walk down Sai Yeung Choi St. South if I were you and see what kind of deals you can strike with the two companies there. Then go check out what Leekin is offering.

Fantastic, thanks for that HKChigger. I have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone heard of/used the City Driving School? They are charging around 7000 for automatic and 8000 for manual lessons...

2. Given that I plan to live in HK, is it better to learn manual or automatic?

Learn manual if you can - an automatic only licence could be a nuisance later in life when you want to borrow / hire cars.

Uhhh I didn't think there was a difference in actual licences. I thought it would just be the skill itself. My licence doesn't state if I can drive Manual or Automatic or what....

If you pass your test on an automatic then your licence will state that as one of the restrictions. If you look at the HK Driving Licence (you do have one, don't you?) on the back you will see in the list of Vehicle Classification Codes the type "A" which means "Automatic Transmission". If the List of Full Classes for which you are licensed on the front of the licence says "1 2" then you can drive any car or light goods vehicle. But if you pass your test in Hong Kong (or in the UK, I don't know about other places) on an automatic vehicle then the Full Classes will be "1A 2A" which means you are only licensed to drive vehicles with an automatic transmission.

Last edited by PDLM; 08-06-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Chigger : HK License? Mine says 1A .. A is the automatic transmission restriction.

May be for overseas license transfers they don't add the "A".

I think they would if the original licence has that restriction. I know that UK Automatic only licences exists so presumably that transfers to HK.

However, I suspect that in the US the licences don't differentiate manual and auto, so even if you have never driven a manual car in your life, when you transfer to a HK licence it would be unrestricted. This is obviously a limitation of the "direct issue" transfer system.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast