Like Tree60Likes

Warning about Hiring Break Contract Helper

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Warning about Hiring Break Contract Helper

We recently terminated our helper because of child care issues, and I happened to see her new job post a few days ago claiming that she broke her contract for good reason. Just a warning to those of you considering hiring a break contract helper that maybe you should ask for a copy of the termination letter submitted to immigration when you hire a helper whose contract was terminated prematurely. She was our first helper in Hong Kong. She had very little work and we paid her well above market and treated her very well, only to be taken advantage of. So be cautious when you hire a break contract helper--some might indeed have been maltreated; others might be fabricating so that they can get a job with another gullible foreign family.

janetwan likes this.

yes its true,not all employers are maltreating their helpers..i agree with u,maybe some..i dnt knw bout the laws bout helpers doin such ambitious act...but anythng goes here hk..

Quote Originally Posted by hhuang99:
    We recently terminated our helper because of child care issues, and I happened to see her new job post a few days ago claiming that she broke her contract for good reason. Just a warning to those of you considering hiring a break contract helper that maybe you should ask for a copy of the termination letter submitted to immigration when you hire a helper whose contract was terminated prematurely. She was our first helper in Hong Kong. She had very little work and we paid her well above market and treated her very well, only to be taken advantage of. So be cautious when you hire a break contract helper--some might indeed have been maltreated; others might be fabricating so that they can get a job with another gullible foreign family.
    Your post is merely stating the obvious and not particularly helpful to a forum of grown adults. Additionally, your 'warning' is generally applicable when hiring anyone, in any field, who has left their previous job.

We really don't need another tired old helper rant...
    bryant.english likes this.

True and I didn't give my helper a copy of her termination letter - how does that prove she wasn't fired for a bad reason? Perhaps you should have checked her references or followed up with her previous employer, the new employer for my helper (whom I terminated for financial reasons)called me personally for a chat about her.

Quote Originally Posted by hhuang99:
    maybe you should ask for a copy of the termination letter submitted to immigration when you hire a helper whose contract was terminated prematurely.
    I want to start by saying: I'm not trying to be argumentative and I do hear what you're saying, but......

1.) I'd be pretty shocked if immigration made this available.
    2.) Should I take the word of the former employer over the employee? I'm pretty sure a lot of employers exaggerate grievances when terminating helper contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Your post is merely stating the obvious and not particularly helpful to a forum of grown adults. Additionally, your 'warning' is generally applicable when hiring anyone, in any field, who has left their previous job.

We really don't need another tired old helper rant...
    We are new to HK and I certainly did not know that a helper could even lie about her contract status before I saw the job post of my previous helper. So while it isn't helpful for you, I hope at least it will be helpful to someone else who's new here.
    Dankleness and klebestift like this.

You didn't know that employees (again, this applies across the board in any filed) are not always truthful about their employment history when searching for jobs and interviewing? If I had a dollar for every junior professional I've interviewed who has overstated something on their resume I would be quite wealthy...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I want to start by saying: I'm not trying to be argumentative and I do hear what you're saying, but......

1.) I'd be pretty shocked if immigration made this available.
    2.) Should I take the word of the former employer over the employee? I'm pretty sure a lot of employers exaggerate grievances when terminating helper contracts.
    Points taken. I merely wanted to warn those hiring alleged break contracts to be more cautious as some might be lying about how their contracts prematurely terminated. I know those of us who are new here tend to sympathize with their situation more and maybe more likely to believe their story, so wanted to warn newbies about this. Maybe you old timers have already seen enough of this to be shocked.

@OP - What exactly had this "bad" helper done to you to merit an effort of creating a thread out of it and try to destroy her chances of seeking future employment elsewhere? From how I see it, if I were the helpless helper (ironic), I might want to challenge the cause of termination, as I understand a contract to be a written agreement between two parties within a validity period. A pretermination is clearly a breach without a valid reason.

not so. BOTH parties can terminate the contract so long as the "rules" are followed, ie. notice period is given or money in lieu of notice.

Satay Sue likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast