Does it make sense to live in HK and work in SZ?

Closed Thread

Does it make sense to live in HK and work in SZ?

I'm planning to move from US to HK/SZ in April with my wife and two boys (age 1, 3). I'll be working in Shenzhen but would like to give family a nice place with other expats, room to run, beach, etc. Discovery Bay looks perfect. 30m to airport ferry, another 30m on ferry to Shekao? Other than the commute, is there something I'm missing?

You must hire one more flat in Shenzhen if you wish to live in Discovery Bay.

You could try living in Huaqiaocheng in Shenzhen. Plenty of space for the kids, with a couple of playgrounds, plus all the theme parks. Dameisha Beach is a good couple of hours away by bus though. If you want to commute daily across the border, get a village house near Sheung Shui. Kam Tsin is a good place as there's space for the kids and good transport links to both Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau. Both are also within easy cycling distance as well. Plus, Dameisha Beach is a little nearer once you've crossed the border.

i've been living in hk and working in shenzhen for the past few years. shenzhen is not yet a good place for living, air pollution problem is even more serious than in hk. medical not very good, even if your company has insurance covered for u. so it's quite normal for people living in hk and work in shenzhen. Of course, some other ppl would choose to live and work the same location.

in any case, if u do daily travel, u MUST choose some places which is near the border, regardless of company transportation arrangement or not. look at houses in shatin, fortain, and tai po. discovery bay is... a bit too far.

Merican

Don't move to Shenzhen!

My husband works in Shenzhen and we live in Midlevels, Hong Kong because Shenzhen is well, uh, not that nice! Do remember China's a third world country.....Hong Kong is much nicer. His commute is 1-2 hours each way depending on traffic/customs, etc. He stays in a hotel during the week (paid by his company) as the commute is a b*tch. Wherever you do move in Hong Kong, please make sure that your wife and sons will be comfortable there (i.e. expat community) and make sure it's close enough for you to commute. Discovery Bay seems to be a nice community for families lots of expats - just check into your commute time. Depending on where you lived in the states, you might be used to commuting anyhow.

Live in Sheung Shui. It's only one stop from the border and there's an international school in Fanling (American system). If you pick a village house along Castle Peak Road, you'll place yourself between the main border posts of Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau. Sheung Shui shopping is OK and if you have a car, Hong Lok Yuen and Fairview Park are in easy reach. Rents are also much cheaper than Kowloon, HK Island or Discovery Bay. Commuting time from Discovery Bay will be around 2 hours before you hit the border, and then you have to cross it and then get to your destination on the other side. There is also a small number of westerners living in the area, although if you work in Shenzhen, then you probably already speak Mandarin, which is widely understood in the shops at least.

Last edited by Roger; 20-12-2004 at 11:21 PM. Reason: More info

Shenzhen Hong Kong commute

i am living in Shenzhen (US rez; don't slap me).

Just got a job in HK. Once all paper work is processed on HK side and I get a mainland multi-entry visa, what can I do to make my trip across the border everyday faster and easier. Can I get a special card and zip through without gettting my passport stamped everyday?

Thanks

Chad

You could try applying for an APEC Business Travel Card from your consulate if you are from an APEC country