Domestic Help - Public Holidays

Closed Thread

Domestic Help - Public Holidays

Does anyone know if December 27th 2005 (Boxing Day) is a holiday for domestic helpers?

Also does anyone have a link to the government website that states what the proper holidays are for domestic helpers.

Thanks for any help.

Hello
    as far as I know Mon 27th and Tues 28th are both public holidays.

unless domestic helpers get fewer public holidays than everyone else, they are entitled to both days?
    also for new year, if it falls on a weekend there is a day in lieu.

But quite possibly not everyone sticks to this....!

Helpers get Statutory Holidays

the first day of January;
    Lunar New Year's Day;
    the second day of Lunar New Year;
    the third day of Lunar New Year;
    Ching Ming Festival;
    the first day of May;
    Tuen Ng Festival;
    the day following the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival;
    Chung Yeung Festival;
    Chinese Winter Solstice Festival or Christmas Day (at the option of the employer);
    the first day of July; and
    the first day of October.

As the 25th falls on a Sunday they do get another day off. The 1st is also a Sunday.

If the statutory holiday falls on a rest day, a holiday should be granted on the day following the rest day which is not a statutory holiday or an alternative holiday or a substituted holiday or a rest day.

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/faq/cap57f_whole.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda:
    Hello
    as far as I know Mon 27th and Tues 28th are both public holidays.
    Er, that would be Monday 26th and Tuesday 27th in 2005 (the 27th in lieu of the 25th being a Sunday). Those are general holidays (i.e. the holidays which nearly all employers give to their employees). For DHs, as Rani says, the only compulsory holidays are the Statutory Holidays, which is December 25th. Since that is a Sunday the DH is entitled to an additional day off on the 26th or some other mutually agreed date. Pay in lieu of statutory holidays is not legally allowed for DHs.

Hi
    yes you are correct Mon 26 (in lieu 25th) and Tues 27 (apologies for error)
    According to my reference the holiday (for Christmas day as it falls on a Sun) is the Monday and you always get Boxing Day so that gets moved to the next day.

Just to recap

Are we saying then, that DH's get less holidays (public ones) than the general population??

now I'm confused....

Louise,

Yes, there are only 12 statutory holidays in a year and 19 general.

Rani

Essentially it is at the discretion of the employer - the legal minimum in all jobs is the statutory holidays (that is why they are called statutory). The law on DHs requires them to be given one day a week off in addition. Most people's employment contracts in other jobs specify the General Holidays (which includes Sundays and the 19 other General holidays). Some jobs specify work on half or all of some Saturdays.

In HK, as a rule, people who work in factory, shops, offices of a factory get statuory holidays, office workers (depending on locations) have public holidays. Many small restaurants and shops may delay the statuory holidays until the Chinese New Year. This rule applies to people with a long term contract, since many people are employed on temporary terms and are not entitled to holidays and benefits. As the economy has been worsening the employer always has the final say.

Hi

Thanks! Well I'm giving my helper the Monday and Tuesday if she wants -dont want to encourage workaholism! she may prefer to do something different. I think being flexible is the best way. Happy holidays!