Like Tree5Likes

Does it make any sense to return to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does it make any sense to return to HK?

Hey everyone,

I feel like I'm approaching a fork in the road. In a year, I'll be graduating from university here in Canada, and it's then up to me to decide whether to stay here in Toronto or to return to Hong Kong.

I wasn't born in HK, but I essentially "grew up" there. My family moved to HK when I was 8, and we left when I was 18. I've technically spent more of my life in HK than in any other city, and I love the city to bits.

I have ROA in HK and feel deeply at home there (far more so than in Toronto), but I'm also a white guy who doesn't really speak Cantonese. I can read/write/speak a reasonable amount of Mandarin, but it's really not the same as being able to speak Cantonese (thanks a lot HKIS...). I would of course make a damn strong effort to learn Cantonese if I were to return, but I'm concerned that, even if I got reasonably good at it, I'd still really be a part of "English Hong Kong" and not a part of wider HK society. I'm also concerned that, as a non-fluent Cantonese speaker, I'd have a tough time doing what I'm really interested in doing: urban planning.

I know that it's a deeply personal question, and it's a bit silly to ask people for advice on such things, but what do you think you would do if you were in my position? I'd be especially interested to hear from any other **IS/ESF people who may have been or currently are in a similar position, but I'd value the input of anybody on this forum. Please be honest!

Thanks in advance everyone.

The only person I know in urban planning in HK is a non cantonese speaking australian (whose been here 15+ years). She says they all speak english as the working language in her office. If that helps.

Personally I'd stay in Toronto for a few years after you graduate and then get real world experience before trying to find something in Urban Planning out here.

Brush up on your Cantonese in that time and do whatever you need to make yourself more marketable as the HK job market is still not too hot right now.

joljon likes this.

i'm guessing that you earned your ROA rather than born with it.

in that case, you will ONLY maintain it IF you return immediately after school. (they will not count your absence from hk if it was for schooling.) once you return, stay a few months (if you like to have a look around) or head back "home" to canada.

if you have EARNED your ROA, then you MUST return to HK at least once every 3 years to maintain it. this can be as simple as a weekend (or less) or as long as you like.

as for "brushing up" on cantonese in canada? i'd say, forget it. MUCH better to do that here, where you would use it everyday, if you so choose.

True, but even if he doesn't return within 36 months he'll get downgraded to Right To Land which is more or less the same thing (differences being: can't vote, can be deported for serious offences, and children born in HK won't automatically have ROA).

thanks, i realise that... but he may still want to retain his ROA, i know i would (although, just being able to work here sans visa is great and something i'm happy to say i'll never lose! i worked hard to earn it!)

is your family in HK or Toronto? what drives u to return to HK? what do you like about HK? the people? the living style? or just feel like it?
    what makes u wanna leave Toronto?
    have u been back to HK ever since u left at 18?

If u decide to move back, the worst outcome is that u find out things are different nowadays, the place is not as like what's in ur memory, or after years u still have difficult to fit in etc, and you have to return to Toronto. Do you think you can take this? If yes, then just come back.

to make a decision, i will think about what the "opportunity cost" is and whether i can afford/am willing to pay for the cost.

He only left HK 2 or 3 years ago! It hasn't changed much in that time.

really? i was away in the past 2 yrs but felt like this place has changed quite a lot when move back this time!!! feel shit to come back.

In what way?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast