Like Tree1Likes

Buying a bed in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Buying a bed in Hong Kong

does anyone know where i can buy a decent mattress - memory foam, pocket springs etc? I am trying to weigh up the cost of shipping my bed over or purchasing a new one? I would be looking at a kingsize or larger. I know the size of the mattresses differ over there.

Thanks

I am very happy with both the quality and cost of the mattress I obtained from here

Welcome to BeddingShop.com!

It feels just like the mattresses in top hotels to me, and I paid 25% of the price I have seen quoted for the branded mattresses sold in retail stores here. I also recommend the high thread count bed linen they sell.

Try Indigo for beds and mattresses, 4 days delivery I bought 2 king size beds from there. they have 3 different mattresses, soft , medium and hard. I have the medium and hard one. But they suggest you to get the medium one because the hard one is quite hard but I find it good for my back

(Indigo has a shop in shatin where homesquare is, first floor. same building with ikea )

Last edited by kokoyashi; 18-05-2010 at 04:40 PM.

I posted a slightly obsessive rundown on mattresses on Geo a couple of years ago. The info should still be current as bedding is not the most innovative of markets.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread14109.html

If you're considering a high quality kingsize mattress, I'd suggest just shipping your current one. A king from one of the well-known manufacturers will set you back 20-30k here.

As you mention, mattress sizes differ in different parts of the world. This isn't a huge problem as you can get good custom-sized furniture without too much hassle from places on Queens Rd East or from Macau.

The main consideration, IMO, is whether you can fit a king sized mattress into your bedroom. Many bedrooms in HK flats are fairly small, as are many elevators in residential buildings.

Edit: There is also a Simmons showroom in the Man Yee Building on Queens Rd Central. Corner of either Jubilee or Pottinger street. 2nd floor.

Last edited by jgl; 18-05-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Many bedrooms in HK flats are fairly small, as are many elevators in residential buildings.
    I still can't figure out how the moving guys got our one in the lift.

The main consideration, IMO, is whether you can fit a king sized mattress into your bedroom. Many bedrooms in HK flats are fairly small, as are many elevators in residential buildings.
    I agree.
    Although, I have seen a few places where even a Queen bed would not fit in the main bedroom.

I've been told by some people that mattresses can be folded in half. I have read from other sources that you should not fold a high quality mattress in half.

Given the ludicrous cost of a top notch mattress, I would not chance it.

One option is to go with 2 singles added together. This adds up to almost exactly the same width as a king. As long as the singles don't have reinforced edges (common on higher quality mattresses) it should be fine. Otherwise you end up with a hard ridge that runs down the centre of the bed.

Edit: Actually, if anyone *has* had a good mattress folded in half with no ill effects, I'd like to hear about it.

If you're considering a high quality kingsize mattress, I'd suggest just shipping your current one. A king from one of the well-known manufacturers will set you back 20-30k here.
    Or 8k if you go for an unbranded one that doesn't have large advertising and retail space overheads.

I've always been surprised at how well I sleep in the ultra-comfortable beds in Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental etc.... for the last couple of months I have had the same experience at home and love it

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Or 8k if you go for an unbranded one that doesn't have large advertising and retail space overheads.

I've always been surprised at how well I sleep in the ultra-comfortable beds in Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental etc.... for the last couple of months I have had the same experience at home and love it
    Geoff - Did you go for the classic or the double pillow version. Just putting together my shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:

Ok - other than the obvious comfort factor, is there anything else about a mattress that makes it better for sleeping on? I've never been very good at sleeping, but have never spent too much money on a mattress...I am simply a light sleeper and wake up a lot in which case I don't suppose a matress could help me but maybe I'm missing something, am I?? (She says hopefully...)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast