Like Tree7Likes

Can my child who was born outside of Hong Kong get an Hong Kong ID?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can my child who was born outside of Hong Kong get an Hong Kong ID?

I have dual-citizenship. I have the permanent Hong KOng ID and also became U.S. citizen. My child was born 1 year after I became U.S. Citizen. I would like to ask if my child who was born in America can obtain an Hong Kong ID?

If the child was born after the handover, no.

Same question: applying for HK ID for child not born in HK

My husband was born in HK. He became a US citizen, and our son was born a few years later in the US. Now he is considering getting a HK ID for our son, who is 17.5 years old. My husband still has his HK ID, but I was not born in HK and do not have a HK ID. Can my husband apply for a HK ID for our son in this case? Do both father and son need to travel to HK to do that? Thanks!

No, because the child was born after the father became a U.S. citizen. See the answer to question 10, here.

Basically a child born overseas to HK parents must have Chinese citizenship to get right of abode in Hong Kong by birth. But if the parents are "settled" overseas the child does not receive Chinese citizenship and is hence ineligible for right of abode. "Settled," for the US, means green card or being a US citizen.

i believe that they can apply for hkid card after living here for 7 years.

even without right of abode, if one of the child's parent's was born in HK... they can apply for right to land which let's them have a Hong Kong ID... also they can work, study and live in HK without restrictions

Yup, I was told the same thing for my child who was born in the US. My husband is US citizen and I held a permanent residents card (Green Card) in US when I had him. The only option is to wait 7 years if you want permanent residency for the child.

Quote Originally Posted by pekoe:
    even without right of abode, if one of the child's parent's was born in HK... they can apply for right to land which let's them have a Hong Kong ID... also they can work, study and live in HK without restrictions
    You can only get RTL if you once had ROA, but lost ROA because you were a non-Chinese citizen away from HK for more than 36 months since the handover.

If you stay in HK for 7 years, can you then apply for the HK passport?
    And do you have to return every 3 years to maintain this status?

(sorry to highjacking the thread )

Last edited by London2HK; 09-03-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: error

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast