Questions about entry procedure of a US citizen married to a HK citizen

Closed Thread

Questions about entry procedure of a US citizen married to a HK citizen

I'm a HK citizen (with 3* HKID) currently studying in US, and my husband is a US citizen. We plan to permanently move to HK in two months and i wonder if we need to apply for a dependent visa for my husband before we come to HK, or we can do that AFTER he'd entered HK as a tourist?

My concern is that since I'm in US right now, we'll have to apply his visa via a China consulate which is far away from where we live right now. And it'd be much easier if he just get into HK first since US passport holder doesn't need a visa to entry HK for a visit. And we can then apply for whatever it is needed for him to stay in HK and work...

Any ideas about these procedure would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I think it is better that the visa gets sorted out here unless your husband plans to work right away upon arrival.

No need to travel so far and also if you apply from the US they will want proof that you are really going to move to HK etc.

But, again if your husband plans on working RIGHT AWAY he will need a visa before going.

As the Chig says - do it here. But if you have been married recently make sure you bring with you evidence of the seriousness of the marriage and the preceding relationship.

Why do you need to apply at the Chinese Consulate in the USA? When we lived in Europe I submitted my dependants visa application by post to immigration here in HK. I listed one of our friends details on the form so that he could collect it on our behalf when issued. He then sent it across to us. Process took 10 days.

Thanks everyone!!

Didn't know we could apply by mail to HK when the sponsor (me) is not physically there, thanks for the advice as that gives us an option.

Though it does look like from all of you advice it's better to do it after we landed!

Thanks again!!