Like Tree4Likes

Will I need to naturalise?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile Will I need to naturalise?

Hi all. I'm a China born Australian citizen. I left China with my family when I was 3 and both of my parents were Chinese citizens before we left China. I have a Chinese birth certificate. If I want to apply for a HKSAR passport will I need to naturalise and become a Chinese citizen again or will I be able to show them my Chinese birth certificate along with HKID.

what makes you think you are eligible for a HKSAR passport?

dear giant likes this.

I currently hold a permanent HKID after been working in HK for 8 years. If I didn't miss anything, I belive I'm eligible to apply for a HKSAR passport, however I don't want to give up my Australian citizenship.

Last edited by wawaku; 13-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

ah, that was a vital piece of info you left out.

i'm not sure exactly how it works... did you renounce your chinese nationality when you became australian?

dear giant likes this.

Thanks for your quick replies carang. I don't think I have renounced my Chinese nationality when I became Australian. I even got a China ID card when I visited mainland few years ago with my family.

i would guess then that you are still considered a chinese national, which i would assume would only assist in getting the hksar passport.

but, gruntfuttock and hairball are the people who know a lot more about this stuff than i.

What do you mean with " I dont think I have renounced it"? You dont remember consciously?
    Did your parents do it for you?
    Does AU req. renunciation ?
    That would shade some light

If I remember correctly you lose Chinese nationality automatically if you take on another

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    What do you mean with " I dont think I have renounced it"? You dont remember consciously?
    Did your parents do it for you?
    Does AU req. renunciation ?
    That would shade some light
    I don't know if I have renounced because I was quite young when I became AU citizen so I’m not too sure. As far as I know AU allow multiple citizenship so renunciation is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    If I remember correctly you lose Chinese nationality automatically if you take on another
    I am pretty sure you don't lose your Chinese nationality automatically. You have to actively renounce your Chinese nationality for China to no longer recognize you a a Chinese national.
    My dad went through this about a year ago. He's Chinese, born in mainland and then moved to the US and naturalized. He was still able to renew his PHKID card and get a HK passport.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast