UK death certificate not recognised

Closed Thread

UK death certificate not recognised

Dear all - my father (British and HK citizen) died in 2001, in England and we have a british death certificate but it seems that the HK authorities won't recognise it. Does anyone know how we can get his UK death certificate recognised in HK?

Original or Copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Original or Copy?
    The original.

Do they require an apostille?

Yes - apostille would be the obvious solution. I think the service you need is here: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Sadly, that means sending stuff to the UK.

Does anyone know of any useful function that the British Consulate now serves for British Citizens in Hong Kong? It seems to me that it's now simply a trade promotion office.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 22-01-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Yes - apostille would be the obvious solution. I think the service you need is here: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Sadly, that means sending stuff to the UK.

Does anyone know of any useful function that the British Consulate now serves for British Citizens in Hong Kong? It seems to me that it's now simply a trade promotion office.
    Attending posh dinners. They are good at that. I wonder if they are any good when a tourist has problems?

Thanks for the responses. Getting the document back to the UK isn't a problem. I guess the best option is to put the certificate through the apostille service, and also get it legalised through the chinese embassy in London?

No - if it's a British document you get it legalised through the UK system, then present it to the authorities in HK.

You need to find a solicitor in the UK that can help with the apostille. A notary public is also involved in the process somewhere. The line doesn't end there either.

If you're looking to access your late father's estate, you'll also need a solicitor/lawyer in Hong Kong to get the authorities to recognise the apostilled certificate and benefactors of the will, or if no will was present, the natural benefactor according to UK law as your late father passed in the UK.

Doesn't end there ... if there are multiple possible benefactors, it can get more complicated and some sort of "insurance" may be required to cover any future disputes surrounding the will or benefactors.

I've just spent the last 8 months going through this process and have handed documentation to a solicitor in Hong Kong to now approach the courts. I can recommend a solicitor in Hong Kong to help with the process if you need. I just wouldn't use their partners in the UK because he wasn't very good.