Like Tree3Likes

Do babies born in HK need visa?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do babies born in HK need visa?

so we didn't get her HKID, HK passport, or any HK documents yet (except birth certificate). both of us are dependents of my wife who holds PRC passport and HK visa. so if we take her out of HK and come back, does she get the 3 month visitor visa since we got her US passport already? or since she was born in HK, she can stay longer?

right, but I actually have a visa stamp on my passport. my daughter doesn't yet. I don't recall getting a form besides the birth certificate though. I guess we know she can stay, but given the short time, we won't be able to get her a formal visa on her passport. just wondering what does immigration do when she enters HK again. does she get the visitor visa stamp or her birth certificate means she doesn't need the visa stamp. if you understand what I mean. a bit complicated I guess.

Is the mother of the baby born in HK Chinese? If so, the baby is a HK resident & can stay forever.

yes, she holds PRC passport. I am of Chinese descent too.

Your daughter should be applicable to apply for HK ID card / HKSAR passport if she is going to travel. I did that for my daughter when she was 11 months old. Its very easy.

For children under 16, they need to apply for both passport and id card at the same time, both documents will be valid for 5 years only.

Application for a permanent identity card by a person under the age of 11 years | Immigration Department

Last edited by wtbhotia; 11-06-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add correct link

how long did it take you? we sent in the application a while ago. they told us to wait. haven't heard anything since. not sure if we can get it in time before traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    how long did it take you? we sent in the application a while ago. they told us to wait. haven't heard anything since. not sure if we can get it in time before traveling.
    Hkid and passport (both at same time)....less than a month.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks
    shri and wtbhotia like this.

my wife said that when she went to the immigration with the application, they said that they have to approve daughter as permanent resident first then she can apply for passport etc. so they didn't even take her application. maybe it's due to the fact she got US passport first? not sure. anyhow, just have to wait and see I guess.

just came back from the foreign ministry. got my 10 year visa relatively easy. just had to fill out the form again since the one online is outdated. they couldn't confirm whether my daughter could get a visa to mainland and suggested us to wait for her HK passport. so I didn't even bother applying hers since the only local document she has is the birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    just came back from the foreign ministry. got my 10 year visa relatively easy. just had to fill out the form again since the one online is outdated. they couldn't confirm whether my daughter could get a visa to mainland and suggested us to wait for her HK passport. so I didn't even bother applying hers since the only local document she has is the birth certificate.
    I applied for a Permanent HKID and HK passport for my baby at the same time. Issued within 3 weeks. 2 applications submitted together. Once you have the HK ID and Passport, you can then apply to CTS for a home return permit for your baby. But you better not tell them about the US Passport or they will reject the application. Alternatively, you can apply for a China visa using the baby's US Passport, but that is going to be hassle.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast