Application for HK Identity Card for overseas residents

Closed Thread

Application for HK Identity Card for overseas residents

I am non-Chinese but was born in Hong Kong (in the late 1950s) and left Hong Kong at a young age (around 7). Nevertheless, because I was born in Hong Kong before 1 January 1983 I held Hong Kong BDTC status until 30 June 1997 and had the right of abode in Hong Kong. I have a Hong Kong birth certificate.

From what I can tell, I will have lost the right of abode on 1 July 1997 and my status will have changed to "Right to Land" status.

I would now like to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card so that in future I can come and live in Hong Kong.

According to the Immigration Department website the relevant form is: Form ROP 143 * Application for a Hong Kong Identity Card for persons of the age of 18+ years resident overseas.

I have contacted my local Chinese Consulate and they are completely non-responsive. I have a couple of questions for forum members:

1. Has anyone succesfully applied for a Hong Kong ID card from overseas?
    2. How long does the process take?
    3. How did you obtain the application forms?
    4. Is it better to come to Hong Kong to apply?

Thanks

Hi,

I am exactly in the same position as you.

I have applied and successfully been obtained the HKID card with the Right to Land Status.

The process took approx 3 month from the day of application to the day i recieved my ID card. But be aware during this 3 month period i was a "foreiner" in HK and cuold not work etc.

I would highly reccomend you be in HK at the time of application. I mean you will alwys be entitled to it as it is your birth right, so just apply for it when you arrive in HK.

All the forms are available at the Immigration dept, and isnot avaiable on the website

Right to land ?

What are the major restrictions for those who have the "right to land" as compared to those who have the "right of abode" ?

Quote Originally Posted by wing:
    What are the major restrictions for those who have the "right to land" as compared to those who have the "right of abode" ?
    You'll find the difference here http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/topical_3_1.htm

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

That Immigration Dept website says:

ROA gives you the right ..

- to land in the HKSAR;
    - to be free from any condition of stay (including a limit of stay) in the HKSAR;
    - not to be deported from the HKSAR; and
    - not to be removed from the HKSAR.

RTL (which you automatically get if you lose ROA) gives you the right..
    - to land in the HKSAR
    - to be free from any condition of stay (including a limit of stay) in the HKSAR; and

So the only difference is that with RTL you can be deported but but that doesn't count as being removed from HK. Eh, miss something? Anyone care to clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by HKFella:
    That Immigration Dept website says:

ROA gives you the right ..

- to land in the HKSAR;
    - to be free from any condition of stay (including a limit of stay) in the HKSAR;
    - not to be deported from the HKSAR; and

RTL (which you automatically get if you lose ROA) gives you the right..
    - to land in the HKSAR
    - to be free from any condition of stay (including a limit of stay) in the HKSAR; and

So the only difference is that with RTL you can be deported but but that doesn't count as being removed from HK. Eh, miss something? Anyone care to clarify?
    You can only be deported if you commit a serious crime. So apart from that they cant kick you out for any other reason.

Process for obtaining ID card

Ap999

Did you apply for "Verification of eligibility for Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" first, or did you just directly apply for a Hong Kong Identity card?

Lastly, does anyone know someone in this position (a non-Chinese person who now has Right to Land) who has succesfully applied for a Hong Kong ID card as an "overseas resident" via a Chinese Consulate overseas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ailin888:
    Ap999

Did you apply for "Verification of eligibility for Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" first, or did you just directly apply for a Hong Kong Identity card?

Lastly, does anyone know someone in this position (a non-Chinese person who now has Right to Land) who has succesfully applied for a Hong Kong ID card as an "overseas resident" via a Chinese Consulate overseas?

Thanks
    Yes is did apply for "Verification of eligibility for Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card". Once that was approved then i could apply for ID Card. Regrading doin it from Overseas, i dont think that it would be possible, becasue now the requirement is that you must attend the immigration office for taking photo and fingerprinting.

I found some info about overseas appliactions
    http://www.hketolondon.gov.hk/faq/#2
    Last edited by ap999; 24-06-2005 at 10:30 AM.

My sister did something similar last year. She emailed HK Immigration and had them sent the overseas application form for HKID and HKSAR passport. (You can also obtain them at the Chinese consulate). She submitted the forms, photos, and fees to the Chinese consulate. The process took two months but she got her Overseas smartid and HKSAR passport via the Chinese consulate. The Overseas smartid does not have any biometric information (only her photo) and it included a notice that she needs to come into a HK Immigration office to replace it with a "local" smartid the next time she's in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by ailin888:
    I am non-Chinese but was born in Hong Kong (in the late 1950s) and left Hong Kong at a young age (around 7). Nevertheless, because I was born in Hong Kong before 1 January 1983 I held Hong Kong BDTC status until 30 June 1997 and had the right of abode in Hong Kong. I have a Hong Kong birth certificate.

From what I can tell, I will have lost the right of abode on 1 July 1997 and my status will have changed to "Right to Land" status.

I would now like to apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card so that in future I can come and live in Hong Kong.

According to the Immigration Department website the relevant form is: Form ROP 143 * Application for a Hong Kong Identity Card for persons of the age of 18+ years resident overseas.

I have contacted my local Chinese Consulate and they are completely non-responsive. I have a couple of questions for forum members:

1. Has anyone succesfully applied for a Hong Kong ID card from overseas?
    2. How long does the process take?
    3. How did you obtain the application forms?
    4. Is it better to come to Hong Kong to apply?

Thanks
    From what you've ssaid:
    1) You are not a Chinese citizen
    2) You can only apply for a HK ID card whilst outside HK IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THE HKSAR PASSPORT
    (you don't really need the HK ID card unless you go to HK)
    3) Usually, you only apply for the HK ID card overseas if you are applying for the HKSAR passport, and you don't currently have a HK ID card.
    4) The HKSAR passport is a type of Chinese passport issued to CHINESE CITIZENS WHO ARE HK PRs.
    5) Since you aren't Chinese- you aren't eligible for the HKSAR passport, and so you can't apply for HK ID card overseas.
    6) For more information on application for HKID card overseas, you may see
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkid_oversea.htm
    7) Of course, if you go back to HK, you may well apply for a HK ID card (stating your Right To Land- if that's the status you have!)

Hope this helps!