About nationality. Singapore to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

About nationality. Singapore to HK

Hello people.

I am 18 years old. from Singapore. a Singapore citizen.

1) and i want to move to Hong Kong to be a Hong Citizen.
    May I know what procedures/requirements i have to go through?

2) May someone like me hold double nationality?

3) And in Singapore, every guy has to go for NS (National Service), and when I have become Hong Kong citizen/pr (Dont know what u called that), will i have to go back to serve the NS?

I seriously hope there will people helping me and answering me questions. thanks!

Ummm ... want to escape the Singapore NS?

You might end up being drafted into the PLA here ..

http://www.immd.gov.hk has TONS of information on the process of working / living in Hong Kong. It is going to boil down to getting someone to sponsor you, remaining in HK for 7 years ....

what's PLA?

Not really trying to escape. as i am studying now. i have a attachment later in my course. i wish to do the attachment in Hong Kong. then continue working there. this is part of my reason

anyway the website i went already. but i cant seem to find the information i need...

Like Singapore, Hong Kong has procedures to go through in order to get residency. One option as KIA suggested is to get an employer to sponsor you. Once here you will get a temporary HKID card. When you have lived here for a continuous seven years you can become a permanent resident and get a permanent HKID card.
    In Taiwan you can't escape their NS as you will have to do it when you go back. Have you checked this with your NS?
    PLA is the People's Liberation Army.

I believe your passport should be restricted by now and you will need an exit permit from CMPB (Central Manpower Base) to leave Singapore. You should probably get the necessary information from CMPB on your options to evaluate if your plan is feasible.

And I don't think Singapore will allow you to have double nationality.

Dude, you must be outta your mind.

thanks for the replies people.

Now i'm thinking of completing my NS before going to Hong Kong.

The bad thing is I cant have double Nationality?

Nope. Sorry, too bad. Singapore would never allow a dual citizenship. Yeah, you need to go through the lengthy process if you want to be a HK citizen. I was born in HK so I naturally had the PR ID, but I lived in Singapore most my life so I have a Singapore citizenship. I actually had a British passport (BNO) but had to give it up for the Singapore one. I must say that for work, having that Singapore passport works wonders because you rarely need a visa to go anywhere. The company just ends up sending me on all the business trips since I have easy travel access practically everywhere.
    I don't think you can avoid doing NS either. You can perhaps delay it for the years you're schooling (some of my friends who received scholarships and went to the US to study managed to do that) but they still had to go back and do it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast