Like Tree7Likes

Is living in Lamma Island a good choice?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is living in Lamma Island a good choice?

Hi Guys,

I'm a mainland China male and currently working in central (20 mins walk from pier No.4). I'm now looking for a house on Lamma island with budget 8000hkd/m all inclusive (electricity, network access, furniture if needed, etc), so what kinds of house should I except?

The reason why I wanna move to Lamma is the lower rent and relaxed environment. And thing that i most concern is the traffic (ferry service) under bad weather conditions (windy, foggy, stormy). Will there be any delaying or halting?

Please give me some advice about moving to Lamma Island, grateful for your help.

If you think some alternative choices is more suitable for me, please also let me know. Thanks!!

Depends on where you work and how willing you are in putting up with a potentially longer commute.

Typhoons can also be tricky since they cancel ferry service when T8 strikes. So you don't want to end up being stranded. Although the ferry companies usually warn this in advance to hopefully give time to Lamma residents to catch the last ferry.

Last edited by Cho-man; 19-01-2015 at 05:13 PM.

I was living on Lamma for 6 month or so and the ferries are quite reliable. Fog and rain is certainly no issue. If you work walking distant from the pier it's quite a nice place to live. I didn't mind the ferry ride when I was there, and can read and do stuff.

Just remember when the last ferry goes at night.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hellozack:
    Hi Guys,

I'm a mainland China male and currently working in central (20 mins walk from pier No.4). I'm now looking for a house on Lamma island with budget 8000hkd/m all inclusive (electricity, network access, furniture if needed, etc), so what kinds of house should I except?

The reason why I wanna move to Lamma is the lower rent and relaxed environment. And thing that i most concern is the traffic (ferry service) under bad weather conditions (windy, foggy, stormy). Will there be any delaying or halting?

Please give me some advice about moving to Lamma Island, grateful for your help.

If you think some alternative choices is more suitable for me, please also let me know. Thanks!!
    As previously stated, the ferry companies are generally quite good at warning in advance if there are potential cancellations or delays.

Nowadays 8k all inclusive doesn't get you very far if you're thinking about living on your own.

Have you considered either doing a flatshare (8k will probably get you ok choices on the HK side i.e. North Point), or alternatively there are a lot of tiny "serviced apartments" in cwb and wan chai that charges around 6k upwards (i-house)
    Last edited by george.ks.wong; 19-01-2015 at 05:32 PM.

8k should still get you around 600 to 700 sq ft on lamma island, I recommend you go there and try the agents shops there, the deals will be better than shown on the websites.

The ferry's will run in pretty much anything except a T8 or above, you do get a lot of warning about services stopping and how long you have to get to the ferry.

Biggest issue with Lamma Island is the ferries are not all night, so if you like to go out for drinks, you'll be the first one to leave the party.

As far as journey is concerned its about 25 minutes on the ferry, and most people will have a nap on the way, although the seats are not that comfortable on the slow ferries.

Atmosphere is nice, I spent 2 years on the island, but had to move off as the Mrs' school changed to all day and she couldn't get to work in time even on the 1st ferry.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Article on Lamma rents from 2013: Long-time Lamma residents feel pinch of rising rents

Hi cho-man, thanks for your reply. For me, 1 hour one-way commute is considered acceptable.

Thanks, flameproof. That really sounds great and personally i love ferry-ride so that won't be a problem for me too.

BTW, Do you find any inconvenience from living in Lamma island? cause I know that there's no supermarket or hospital on the island..

Hi George. Thanks for your information. I will consider about those serviced apartments.

Also, I think the area of the flat on Lamma island would be 2-3 times than cwb at the same price, right? If so, that would be very attractive, haha~

Thanks a lot, Zero Gravitas. Actually I did go to the agents shop last Saturday. I was shown a room in Tai Wan old village with around 400 sq ft. (in my budget). I think the space is spacious, but a problem is that my cellphone couldn't get any signal around that house... Does it always happen in the old village?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast