Like Tree1Likes

Views on living in Discovery Bay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Views on living in Discovery Bay

We are a young married couple (no kids and no plans for kids for a few years).

What do people think about living in Discovery Bay. Husband working in North Point. I hope to be working also - probably closer to Central.

What is it like - entertainment, people, transport - esp. transport late at night...?

Thanks.

Try to imagine: picking up your husband from office (NP) back home (DB) on a Typhoon day...so......so.......romantic!

it depends on what you want... some people love it, some hate it...

i've lived in Hk going on 11 years and i've lived almost every in that time...

i love DB...however, if you don't have kids or dogs, it may not be for you...

DB is 25 minutes by high-speed ferry from Central. Then depending on where you live you may need to transfer to a single-decker / mini bus at the bus station. Hubbie will need to make the walk from the Central (more like Sheung Wan) ferry terminal to the MTR station to get to North Point.
    All in all a single journey could take around an hour.

You should be able to make friends easily but expect a lot of families.

DB has a residents' club with sports facilities and restaurants. DB itself has a small number of restaurants too.

There is a Wing On department store, a Park 'N Shop and an HSBC though I haven't been there for a while. There is also a wet market.

You can only drive golf carts and they are not cheap to buy or rent.

The ferries run 24 hours varying from every 10 minutes during peak times to 2 hours in the middle of the night.

Sonya Kim likes this.

there is no wet market and there hasn't been one for about the past 4.5 years...

Thanks all. My husband is not too keen on the hour of travelling to work. Oh well.

If you are young and want to be "in the sh#t" and really experience being a true Hong Konger then DB is not the place for you. Too far, too boring, too much like living in WesterntownDisneylandVillage. In my opinion if you live in DB you might as well just stay in the USA, unless you love Subway because DB has Subway. Yay Subway. Yay culture. I recommend Wan Chai, cheap and halfway between CWB and Central, plus Wan Chai has a fun divey bar district that is much more local and less plastic than LKF and it is close to the Bowman (???) rd which is a path you can walk or run on with a great view of the island. Check out the area around Ship Street and Johnston rd. Oh and guess what, last time I lived in HK Wan Chai ALSO had a Subway. So I guess you can still get your 6 inch turkey breast.

Last edited by srhatton; 23-03-2007 at 03:46 PM.

if you like living in the twilight zone then its the place for you ...

actually my take on it from a single mans perpective:

its not really like living in HK (a positive for me as its an escape from the over population, high rise intensity )

its quite and peaceful (and the ferrys only 25 mins into the night life

its almost obligatory to own a dog, or a child (in fact mostly both) shoosh i lost my dog!!!

relatively cheap rent in comparison to HK island which is better value

its does take an hour to get to work but its worth it, altho i get a bus from the pier missing out the MTR squeeze -your hubby won't get that benefit

everything runs to clockwork .. buses, ferry's by eck... it is the twilight zone

nice new restaurants have opened up by the sea. but not much option for shopping (only park n shop but it is adequately stocked - blimey they even have waitrose sausages)

kids running round the plaza screaming when you got : a hangover can be a bit destabalizing .. but strangely enough they don't populate the beach that much .. i fins my trusty catapult soon silence a few of em . maybe someone will buy me taser gun for me birthday

not really HK culturalised so you dont get to immerse yourself into the experience

so its a balance really ... i like the peaceful escape it offers so i'd recommned it as i would stanley buts that more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by srhatton:
    Oh and guess what, last time I lived in HK Wan Chai ALSO had a Subway.
    I think it moved to replace Jo Jo Mess at the Bank of America Tower, Central.

Quote Originally Posted by srhatton:
    I recommend Wan Chai, cheap and halfway between CWB and Central, plus Wan Chai has a fun divey bar district that is much more local and less plastic than LKF
    ..if you want LOCAL then you live in ShamShuiPo, Mei Foo or other similar areas...WAN CHAI is NOT local. It is a fun place but definitely a lot of foreigners living there (Less probably than Midlevels..) but don't call it local crowd....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast