Like Tree8Likes

Best Laksa in Town

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    This is the boxed stuff that the Strife uses: Prima Taste – Instant Laksa!, | Sparklette Food & Travel Blog
    That looks similar to the one we love but not exactly. Will get a packet tonight and post back.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Worse case I had was in a McDs when after paying for the food I couldn't find a single seat other than those occupied by invisible people or LV bags so ate my meal standing up and next to the waste bin.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

YUKE!

Next time, I think I'll dump my full tray on the laps of the guy who was reading a newspaper and hogging up the table.
    Last edited by Renotommy; 11-02-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Shok, the new Singaporean restaurant on Peel St., serves Laksa on Mondays, but I haven't tried it yet. Speaking of amazing noodle soups, has anyone ever found a restaurant here that serves Khao Soi? For those who haven't tried it, Khao Soi is a curry chicken soup from northern Thailand made with rice noodles and crispy egg noodles. A good one is absolutely amazing. Have never seen it in HK though...

do not go to shiok....i usually do not rate a place until after 2 visits or 3 dishes...but man...this one took the cake...

i was there 3 weeks ago with another geo expat dude....and was curious as to why there was no one there during dinner service.....after the dinner i knew why...

after being repeatedly pestered to order an overpriced drink with the meal, my friend caved in and order a english breakfast tea with milk. he gets earl grey sans milk after 12 minutes...and the milk when he was almost done the tea.....

we ordered the char tow kway - man...was it terrible....way too much sauce, prawns were smaller than the dried shrimps i used for soup flavouring and the whole dish was just too damn sweet.

the fried hokkien noodles....sheesh.....same small prawns..next to no meat, they even used the same damn sweet sauce in the dish....but the coup de grâce was....they used SPAGHETTI...not simple fresh hokkien noodles they could have gotten 20 doors down on peel but freaking italian-style spaghetti....no where in the menu were we warned of.

1/10....the 1 for the modern/clean front of the house...
    to sum it up....5 star hotel pricing for sub-par hawker food.

Last edited by DJ008; 11-02-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ008:
    do not go to shiok....i usually do not rate a place until after 2 visits or 3 dishes...but man...this one took the cake...

i was there 3 weeks ago with another geo expat dude....and was curious as to why there was no one there during dinner service.....after the dinner i knew why...

after being repeatedly pestered to order an overpriced drink with the meal, my friend caved in and order a english breakfast tea with milk. he gets earl grey sans milk after 12 minutes...and the milk when he was almost done the tea.....

we ordered the char tow kway - man...was it terrible....way too much sauce, prawns were smaller than the dried shrimps i used for soup flavouring and the whole dish was just too damn sweet.

the fried hokkien noodles....sheesh.....same small prawns..next to no meat, they even used the same damn sweet sauce in the dish....but the coup de grâce was....they used SPAGHETTI...not simple fresh hokkien noodles they could have gotten 20 doors down on peel but freaking italian-style spaghetti....no where in the menu were we warned of.

1/10....the 1 for the modern/clean front of the house...
    to sum it up....5 star hotel pricing for sub-par hawker food.
    Not consistent with my experience. Generally found Shiok (and its predecessor Bar of Soup) to be pretty good. Indeed not particularly cheap plus some of the dishes are done in a slightly different style to what my family does, but overall the quality is quite good - as evidenced by the loyal following of Singaporeans and Malaysians that the place has.

Me too. I've only eaten there once, but had a reasonable lunch. I really liked their rendang. I'll try to get over there on a Monday for laksa day and then post an update.

pls do update us - if they have spore curry laksa or malay asam laksa. for now, i guess the sino grp satay inn/satay satay will have to do for me.

both katong and prawn noodle shap in wc werent bad either....just wish their broths had more oomph....maybe they have tailored the recipes to suit the locals.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    That looks similar to the one we love but not exactly. Will get a packet tonight and post back.
    It IS the same!

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    I guess nothing stops you from just taking one of the empty chairs. Might earn you some dirty looks, but just ignore
    Clearly you have never tried this. I have. You would not believe how vicious normally mild people can get if you try to even SHARE their table, let alone take an allocated seat. My experience ended up with the police being called because I objected to moving (I was in a spare seat on the table, not one they needed even!) and they got so angry some soup ended up being spilled... at which point the vicious little bitch suddenly went all "boo hoo" hurt little princess and the security guards called the police..... quite an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Clearly you have never tried this. I have. You would not believe how vicious normally mild people can get if you try to even SHARE their table, let alone take an allocated seat. My experience ended up with the police being called because I objected to moving (I was in a spare seat on the table, not one they needed even!) and they got so angry some soup ended up being spilled... at which point the vicious little bitch suddenly went all "boo hoo" hurt little princess and the security guards called the police..... quite an experience.
    Christ... just over a place to sit! There are some really spoiled little adults around.

McD seems to be the worst place with regard to loitering. I'm not even sure some of the newspaper-readers in there order anything in the first place. Perhaps they just think it beats a bench.