• HKIA <-> SZIA

4 18.18%
  • The Northern Link (NT East to SZ)

3 13.64%
  • Tuen Mun <-> Tsuen Wan (Coastal line)

6 27.27%
  • Tuen Mun <-> Tung Chung (HKIA link)

5 22.73%
  • Tai Wai <-> Tsuen Wan (NT East/West Link)

7 31.82%
  • Other

3 13.64%
  • We have better things to spend our money on

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree24Likes

Next phase of railway projects

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Do we count the privatisation of UK rail service as a success ? Did we count the number of frenchisee companies that just gave up and return the frenchise back to Transport Bureau ?

https://www.ft.com/content/05fef011-...d-fbdfffe4368d
    BR was awful a d union dominated. The concept was fine and there’s been a massive investment in new trains and infrastructure but too many franchises for me.

This was my one hour commute going home from Leeds. According to EC this is a sign of success because it is crowded.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  43.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    This was my one hour commute going home from Leeds. According to EC this is a sign of success because it is crowded.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 147
Size:  43.1 KB
    Yes. This is what commuter trains look like

Name:  _w850.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  58.9 KB
    Japan

Hong Kong

Name:  055.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  445.7 KB
    Singapore

Name:  R160_interor_crowds.jpg
Size:  145.6 KB
    New York

Name:  Crowded-CTA.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  65.8 KB
    Chicago

Perhaps it is the odd belief that society should subsidize a seat for you for journeys under an hour. Most places are happy to stand for an hour on the way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes. This is what commuter trains look like

Name:  _w850.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  58.9 KB
    Japan

Hong Kong

Name:  055.jpg
Size:  445.7 KB
    Singapore

Name:  R160_interor_crowds.jpg
Size:  145.6 KB
    New York

Name:  Crowded-CTA.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  65.8 KB
    Chicago

Perhaps it is the odd belief that society should subsidize a seat for you for journeys under an hour. Most places are happy to stand for an hour on the way to work.

If you say so. Personally I don't know many people who are happy to pay a lot of money to stand for an hour on a train. They may tolerate it but none were happy.
    Elegiaque likes this.

They'd be much happier down't pit like they were before thatcher, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    BR was awful a d union dominated. The concept was fine and there’s been a massive investment in new trains and infrastructure but too many franchises for me.
    Interestingly many of the franchisee seem to be giving up... too much risk to bare in such arrangement, like they said, the franchisee agreement has to be thousands of pages long and I am sure that still does not cover alot of items that can potentially happen and cripple a private company.

https://www.railway-technology.com/f...lways/?cf-view
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If you say so. Personally I don't know many people who are happy to pay a lot of money to stand for an hour on a train. They may tolerate it but none were happy.
    Complaints have significantly reduced in the last 20 years from around 125 to 30 per 100K journeys. Yes rail is a political punch bag as its main customers sit in marginal seats but it is really urban rail lacks investment but no votes in it for one party and the other should but doesn't appear to care.

Name:  305661-blank-355.png
Views: 60
Size:  14.6 KB
    Last edited by East_coast; 09-10-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Complaining about British rail was easy. There was one organization in charge of everything.

Complaining now about the railways in Britain. Who to complain to? Is it the train company or the organization / company running the station, or the body in charge of the track? Honesty, if I got to this page, I'd just give up.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/trave...train-company/

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Complaining about British rail was easy. There was one organization in charge of everything.

Complaining now about the railways in Britain. Who to complain to? Is it the train company or the organization / company running the station, or the body in charge of the track? Honesty, if I got to this page, I'd just give up.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/trave...train-company/
    So easy that data wasn't recorded? The chart only shows the last 20 years not way way back to privatization.

In the last 20 years complaints have gone down and ridership up and punctuality comparable to other European nations. That looks like an improvement.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8