Like Tree163Likes

I remember

Closed Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15 20 21 22 23

One year in the 1990s, on the last working day before the Lunar New Year, all the companies in a small office block had closed for the holiday, so the management staff turned off the electricity at the mains, locked up, and left.

They didn't know that a lift mechanic was still in the building, in the lift. He spent the entire holiday trapped in the pitch dark, and presumably quite small, lift. Whether the total holiday that year was three days or longer, I don't remember.

I think of him every year at this time.

Four Memories of the Handover

1. A cha chaan teng in Tsim Sha Tsui tried to add a 10% service charge to my bill.

2. The Post Office issued a commemorative set of stamps after the handover, for which there was an enormous demand. The SCMP reported that there was a sign in a post office in Lantau saying, “Babies will not be served.”

3. Another item of news at the time, perhaps especially in HK, was the near-demise of another British Overseas Territory – Montserrat. A volcano had erupted, and about half the island, including the capital, had been covered by lava and was now uninhabitable..

4. On the last working day before the handover, Friday 27th June – in fact a half-day – the Hang Seng Index closed at a record high. On Wednesday 2nd July, which was still a holiday in HK, the Thai Bhat was unpegged from the US Dollar and fell 15%. That was the beginning of the Asian Financial Crisis, which reached HK the following year.

shri likes this.

I remember going to the KPS closing sale to pick up laserdiscs and some fools and horses videos.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I remember when the Furuma Cake Shop was closing and it had stopped taking orders for its last day before I could get there.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:

4. On the last working day before the handover, Friday 27th June – in fact a half-day – the Hang Seng Index closed at a record high. On Wednesday 2nd July, which was still a holiday in HK, the Thai Bhat was unpegged from the US Dollar and fell 15%. That was the beginning of the Asian Financial Crisis, which reached HK the following year.
    I remember attending the "1 handover 2 parties" set of parties at the Yacht club but what made it even more memorable was coming home to my Causeway Bay flat at 4am and having to wade thru the flooded streets. The water was knee deep in many places....