Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dumbdonkey
  • 1 Post By dumbdonkey

Renewing BNO Passport (Express Service in the UK?)

Closed Thread

Renewing BNO Passport (Express Service in the UK?)

Hi Fellas,

My BNO passport has been expired ages ago, and recently I'm considering of renewing it (I'm holding the HKSAR passport now so I don't really NEED the BNO passport)

I am aware the typical procedure is to FedEx the application from HK, and they'll FedEx a new passport back to you.

But since I will be heading over to the UK next month I might as well renew it while I'm there.

However a friend has told me there is some kind of express 1 day passport renewal service. I couldn't find any info on it, has anyone heard of it before? And whether this can be done in ANY passport offices, or only in select offices?

Thanks for any input

Hi, I'm from the UK, and my wife is Hong Kong chinese.She has just renewed her BN(O) passport. you will have no trouble renewing it, my wife's expired about 10 years ago. However, you will have to do it online, then send both your passports to the UK. I don't think there is an express 1 day renewal service for BN(O) passports. And it is quite expensive. you can go to this website and find all the details www.gov.uk/overseas-passports once you've done the application online and paid the fee, they will give you another application form to fill in and send with your passports. You will have to send both HK and UK passport, and it takes around 2 months for them to return them. They also return them in seperate DHL packages about a week apart. Hope this helps

On a tangential note, may I ask what the "value" of holding a BNO Passport is? I'm struggling to understand how it is practical, other than perhaps providing yet another passport to use when travelling in addition to an HKSAR passport?

if a BNO passport holder resides legally in the UK for 5 years, they can upgrade their passport to a full UK passport.

dossier likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    if a BNO passport holder resides legally in the UK for 5 years, they can upgrade their passport to a full UK passport.
    if a HKSAR passport holder studies in UK for 5 years can they upgrade. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    if a HKSAR passport holder studies in UK for 5 years can they upgrade. Just curious.
    i would assume so. student visa are legal residents.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    5 years to ILR, and then holding ILR in a BN(O) Passport that cannot be lost through absence (unlike ILR for any other non-EEA national).

Quote Originally Posted by cottonbudscandy:
    Hi Fellas,

My BNO passport has been expired ages ago, and recently I'm considering of renewing it (I'm holding the HKSAR passport now so I don't really NEED the BNO passport)

I am aware the typical procedure is to FedEx the application from HK, and they'll FedEx a new passport back to you.

But since I will be heading over to the UK next month I might as well renew it while I'm there.

However a friend has told me there is some kind of express 1 day passport renewal service. I couldn't find any info on it, has anyone heard of it before? And whether this can be done in ANY passport offices, or only in select offices?

Thanks for any input
    I have the same question: can a BN(O) Passport holder enter the UK on their HKSAR Passport, and then renew their BN(O) Passport within the UK (either by post or in person) through some process? Thank you

It appears the answer is yes you can: https://www.gov.uk/passport-applicat...le-visiting-uk