Replacing UK driving licence

Closed Thread

Replacing UK driving licence

My UK driving licence is going to expire in about a year from now, and I need a plan to replace it. I don't own a car here in HK, however, would like to be able to rent a car couple of times a year when traveling on business or when on holidays overseas.

What are my options? I reside in HK.

Nope - no UK address to hang my hat on.

Quote Originally Posted by PJJ:
    Nope - no UK address to hang my hat on.
    If you are unable to find a UK address to use, then your UK licence is technically invalid. Your best option is to get a HK licence now. Combine this with an international drivers licence (easy to get from the TD department, takes about 20 mins, and cheap as well).

Once you have a UK address again, you can apply for a new photo licence from DVLA. It is only your photo licence that expires, not your actual licence to drive (although technically invalid without a UK address), which I believe still remains until you are 70 something?

Edit: Looking further at this, they have just changed the rules. May be quite difficult to renew even if you do have a UK address you can use:

You’ll need to:
    • have your driving licence (both parts if it’s a photocard licence)
    • be a resident of Great Britain - there’s a different process in Northern Ireland
    • provide addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years
    • have a valid UK passport or other form of identity
    • have your National Insurance number if known
    • not be disqualified from driving
    Needing to provide proof of 3 years addresses and show your passport, which may show you haven't been living in the UK, could be tricky.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 08-11-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks. I am not particularly fussy about getting another UK driving licence - I need *a* driving licence that is good enough for driving/renting a car worldwide.

I guess a HK licence is not as good as a UK one in this respect... i.e. I am going to need an 'International driving licence' as well... but well, a driving licence is a driving licence is a driving licence

Thanks. I am not particularly fussy about getting another UK driving licence - I need *a* driving licence that is good enough for driving/renting a car worldwide.

I guess a HK licence is not as good as a UK one in this respect... i.e. I am going to need an 'International driving licence' as well... but well, a driving licence is a driving licence is a driving licence
    Even UK licences aren't excluded from the requirement to also have an international licence in many countries.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 09-11-2014 at 12:06 AM.

OK then, it looks like I'll be knocking TD's door soon. Just read that driving licence exchange without a test would only be possible if my UK licence was still valid for another 3 years - which is not the case.

I've had a driving licence for close to 30 years - would TD treat me like I was completely 'green' and didn't know how to drive?

OK then, it looks like I'll be knocking TD's door soon. Just read that driving licence exchange without a test would only be possible if my UK licence was still valid for another 3 years - which is not the case.

I've had a driving licence for close to 30 years - would TD treat me like I was completely 'green' and didn't know how to drive?
    No, you are reading that incorrectly:

a. valid or has not expired for more than 3 years
    the "or" after valid is key

you have a valid licence, therefore no problem. fill the form out, take your licence, proof of address and ID down to TD, job done. Collect your HK licence one week later.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 09-11-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    No, you are reading that incorrectly:

the "or" after valid is key

you have a valid licence, therefore no problem. fill the form out, take your licence, proof of address and ID down to TD, job done. Collect your HK licence one week later.
    Will definitely give it a try then! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    If you are unable to find a UK address to use, then your UK licence is technically invalid. Your best option is to get a HK licence now. Combine this with an international drivers licence (easy to get from the TD department, takes about 20 mins, and cheap as well).

Once you have a UK address again, you can apply for a new photo licence from DVLA. It is only your photo licence that expires, not your actual licence to drive (although technically invalid without a UK address), which I believe still remains until you are 70 something?

Edit: Looking further at this, they have just changed the rules. May be quite difficult to renew even if you do have a UK address you can use:

Needing to provide proof of 3 years addresses and show your passport, which may show you haven't been living in the UK, could be tricky.
    Actually, I think the key phrase is "provide addresses of where you’ve lived for the last 3 years" rather than proof of the address - i.e. just state your UK address