View Poll Results: What fourth language is more useful in HK?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japanes

2 12.50%
  • Korean

0 0%
  • French

3 18.75%
  • Spanish

9 56.25%
  • German

0 0%
  • Any other? Please add in text.

2 12.50%
Like Tree36Likes

What fourth language for HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Now I am starting to wonder how Americans make it through life without Latin

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Look at how they bastardise the language, the answer is there.
    HK_Katherine and Liked like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresang:
    Latin involves analysing logically how words in a sentence fits together and then deducing the correct translation based on the application of rules and context. The concept is very similar to that of Maths. Students who get top grades in these subjects are logical thinkers, careful workers and good analysts.
    ohh no nightmare memories of translating Pliny's letters.... Are they still used or any more contemporary pieces available?

Hi there, i'm a student currently doing the ib diploma, and for me i would say spanish. Its not really 'useful' in HK but i think it would be a good communication thing as there are quite a few spanish speakers around the world (apart from spain, south america, islands etc)

East_coast likes this.

Yes, my OCR GCSE students this year and next year are studying the Death of Pliny the Elder, A Day in the life of Pliny the Elder and Arria as part of their set text. They all find it ok though- not really that hard. They definitely prefer it to Virgil, which is so long! Did u have to do Pliny for GCSE too?

All I can remember is Hannibal crossing the Alps. We had to do Latin for a year and I hated it, but looking back I can see the benefit.

My Cambridge IGCSE Latin students are doing Livy's version of Hannibal crossing the Alps this year, which is pretty hard. Definitely tougher than Pliny.
    Why did you not enjoy Latin?

Quote Originally Posted by Teresang:
    My Cambridge IGCSE Latin students are doing Livy's version of Hannibal crossing the Alps this year, which is pretty hard. Definitely tougher than Pliny.
    Why did you not enjoy Latin?
    Well I was crap at languages and we had to do French, German and Latin. As a young kid I could not see the point of learning a dead language. Later on I learnt some Portuguese and the Latin really helped.

you know what, though? if you'd learned spanish, it would also have helped with your portugese - and you'd also know spanish!
    seriously, i don't get the attraction to learning latin. and, amazingly enough, it would help me from time to time in my professional life if i knew latin. but i have no illusion that its practical benefits outweigh the practical benefits that come with knowing a language that people actually speak.
    when i started learning italian, it was incredible how much it helped knowing french. and knowing french might not be the most useful language there is, but you know what it's more useful than? oh yeah - latin!

Liked likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4