Netvigator Connection Speed Problem

Closed Thread

Netvigator Connection Speed Problem

Hi, I am from Korea and I have beeen using Netvigator for more than 4 years and satisfied with its speed of connection to Korea. Normally its connection to Korea has been around 20 Mbps. But suddenly starting from 3 days ago, the speed has been slowed significantly down to less than 1 Mbps.

It is very clear that it's throttled, not a technical problem as uploading speed to Korea is still as fast as before at around 15 Mbps. I.E., if it was a problem of broken submarine cable or something, the uploading speed should be also very slow. However, uploading is still fast while only the download speed has become extremely slow.

I clarify that I don't run Bit Torrent and anything incurring heavy traffic. Tested connection speeds to other countries including Japan and the US look fast as same as before.

I have no idea why they started to throttle the download speed to Korea. How can I have the Netvigator to put the speed back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For fixed line internet connection, I don't think Navigator will do that and never heard that

any Korea website that can be used for testing ?

Thanks. I found a post here that it is confirmed that Netvigator throttles the speed. (link: https://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/...read72219.html)

There are 3 websites to test speed to Korea. (Unfortunately 2 of those 3 are only in Korean)

1) speedtest.net

For unknown reason, Korea server is not available at the moment.

Other remaining 2 websites are only in Korean unfortunately.

2) speed.nia.or.kr

It's government organization. Heavily built on Flash, and it takes forever to load the test page due to the lower than 1Mbps connection speed.

3) benchbee.co.kr

It's also in Korean only. I have attached the test result below which shows 393 kbps download speed with 23.3 Mbps upload speed. Ridiculously unbalanced results evidencing the throttling.

Last edited by icedtea; 01-03-2015 at 12:22 AM.

It's not your download speed to korea that is slow, but from korea.
    What is slow from korea? everything? particular sites?

Obviously it is not a problem of particular sites as any connection to Korea appears to have been slowed down. (I know what you mean. If it was slow only for a specific site, it could be a server problem instead.)

Since my question was not very clear and the followed replies are misled, let me clarify my question more clearly:

It seems that the guaranteed connection speed from ISPs in HK are applied only for connections inside HK, not for overseas. That means, a customer may file a complaint against the ISP in case the connection inside HK is below their agreed service level of speed, but he/she has no right to complain about the speed of connection to servers outside HK. (Correct me if I am wrong)

But is there any terms and conditions elaborating that the ISPs own rights to throttle the speed to overseas? Otherwise such speed control might involve not only customer complains, but also legal actions.

I am not looking to sue the ISP immediately. Instead, I am seeking the best way of technical approach to file a complaint regarding their throttling activities which might be a breach of the contract if not specified in it. Any advice from experience regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by icedtea:
    Obviously it is not a problem of particular sites as any connection to Korea appears to have been slowed down. (I know what you mean. If it was slow only for a specific site, it could be a server problem instead.)

Since my question was not very clear and the followed replies are misled, let me clarify my question more clearly:

It seems that the guaranteed connection speed from ISPs in HK are applied only for connections inside HK, not for overseas. That means, a customer may file a complaint against the ISP in case the connection inside HK is below their agreed service level of speed, but he/she has no right to complain about the speed of connection to servers outside HK. (Correct me if I am wrong)

But is there any terms and conditions elaborating that the ISPs own rights to throttle the speed to overseas? Otherwise such speed control might involve not only customer complains, but also legal actions.

I am not looking to sue the ISP immediately. Instead, I am seeking the best way of technical approach to file a complaint regarding their throttling activities which might be a breach of the contract if not specified in it. Any advice from experience regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

how can you sue the ISP, the ISPs do not own the network outside HK

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy1234:
    how can you sue the ISP, the ISPs do not own the network outside HK
    Of course, you cannot sue the ISP for the network outside HK. However, you can still sue them if they throttle your network as they please, which is against the agreement of the contract.
    Last edited by icedtea; 01-03-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Does PCCW Netvigator throttle / traffic manage residential ADSL connections in Hong Kong? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Does PCCW Netvigator throttle / traffic manage residential ADSL connections in Hong Kong?
    What did PCCW say when you asked them?

I don't think they throttle I think the circuits are overloaded. We never get anything like full speed. Ever.