Registering Left Hand Drive Vehicle

Closed Thread

Registering Left Hand Drive Vehicle

I know there are lots of posts to this topic, but I've noticed an increase in LHD cross border busses in HK.
    The transpory department website states "Application for the registration and licensing of a left hand drive vehicle will not be accepted unless there are special circumstances"

Any ideas what makes those LHD busses so special? There are tens if thousands of RHD vehicles going to the mainland, why do they allow some LHD to be registered and how can I become so special?
    Any idea what the chances would be to succeed with a judicial review based on the TD having already allowed LHD registrations for private entities?

Would love to import a car from the US.

Attachment 59817
    Attachment 59821
    Attachment 59825
    Name:  20100527_bbd1c93570170f347e8eEJVmg7xyv1H9.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  163.2 KB

There are lots more.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 29-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Get yourself a T plate, then you can drive whatever you like on the roads here.

Just not across the border

Those busses don't have a T plate either, those are fully registered LHD vehicles.

The only LHD passenger cars I have seen on the roads here were a Ferrari Enzo (T-plate) & a Bugatti Veyron (T-plate).

A commercial vehicle perhaps, but a passenger car, no chance.

If you drive along Fan Kam Road towards Shek Kong and Kam Tin, you will see lots of car yards full of brand new LHD passenger cars for the mainland.

Last edited by emx; 29-03-2015 at 08:02 PM.

That's why I'm asking. The Govt says "special circumstances". With 40,000 RHD cross border cars on the road, what makes those LHD ones so special? They don't belong to the government or to a foreign embassy, but to a local transportation company. Seems fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Get yourself a T plate, then you can drive whatever you like on the roads here.
    You can't drive whatever you like on a standard T-plate. Those rules changed a few years ago and LHD cars can only be driven on special blue T-plates of which only a couple have ever been granted here. The rules to get even standard T-plates plates have been tightened considerably in past few years as well due to abuses.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    You can't drive whatever you like on a standard T-plate. Those rules changed a few years ago and LHD cars can only be driven on special blue T-plates of which only a couple have ever been granted here. The rules to get even standard T-plates plates have been tightened considerably in past few years as well due to abuses.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks
    Yup. Sunday morning drives were a lot more exotic back in 2007.