Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oldtimer

Leaving: shipping furniture, and Taxes?

Closed Thread

Leaving: shipping furniture, and Taxes?

Several questions about how to leave HK, as I haven't done it before.

1) I have a few items of furniture I want to keep...not enough for a container (literally: a desk, a bookshelf and a guitar and amp). What is the best way to ship those items to my new job in Africa? I have read that furniture makers can deliver your new couch all the way to the US for about $150...what services do they use and how can I make use of this?

2) I have the form from my previous employer that I'm supposed to take to town to the IRD. What is this for....I assume it makes my departure 'official' and I get a rebate on my provisional tax I paid for next year. But does this also mean that I no longer will have to file taxes in HK each year? I ask because I have rolled all my ORSO money into an MPF account, and I plan on leaving all that money here, as well as keeping my bank accounts open. I am a US citizen, if that plays any role...but I keep everything legal, and claim all my accounts on my US taxes.

Thanks in advance. Moving is hard work, and a bit scary!

You should visit the Inland Revenue office and settle your final tax bill.
    If refund is due, ask them to transfer to your bank account.
    If you have no income in HK, then there is no need to file tax returns in HK,
    Any income from MPF is not taxable.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    You should visit the Inland Revenue office and settle your final tax bill.
    If refund is due, ask them to transfer to your bank account.
    If you have no income in HK, then there is no need to file tax returns in HK,
    Any income from MPF is not taxable.
    Thanks Oldtimer. I'm actually on my way to WanChai to attend to that now. Glad I paid my taxes in November....I hope for a fat refund. Will they continue to send me tax forms, which I can ignore....or will they stop sending them to me since I went through the departure process?

About MPF....when I cash out that account, is there HK tax due on the interest income? And do I have to cash out that account when I leave HK....I hope to return to live here again sometime, and I'd prefer to leave that account active. In fact, I wish I could contribute to it...it'd doing great.

You do not have to cash our your MPF, if it is your intention to return in future.
    You will not get any tax reminders.

shri likes this.

There is no tax when you cash out of MPF at retirement or when you leave HK permanently

Thanks Oldtimer...I just got back from the IRD offices. That was incredibly painless....I showed them my release form from my employer, I had to fill out a tax form (only in HK can you stand at a little table and complete your yearly income tax return while the lady patiently waits! In the US it takes me several days, all agonizing), then I went into a little room and another woman looked over my materials and said "All good. You'll be getting a big rebate in 2-3 days."

The whole thing took only about 20 minutes, max.

As for the MPF...yes, you are correct. I can leave my money here, and I can also leave all my HK accounts open.

Now for the other question....I'll post a new thread.

Thanks for your insights, Oldtimer. :-)