Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By hongkong7
  • 5 Post By Drunken Master
  • 3 Post By Claire ex-ax

Blood group test

Closed Thread

Blood group test

Does anywhere know where someone i.e. local doctor/hospital within the public system just to get blood test to determine blood group? We tried with insurance but they said it's not essential and the private doctor wanted HKD 3,000. My husband needs to know as I'm pregnant and have a negative blood type, if he is positive then I need to take a shot to protect the baby. And of course, he doesn't know his!

I saw online that the "pre-marital check up" at the Family Planning Association costs $630 and includes blood group but includes lots of other stuff that we don't need. But if that's the best option. will do it.

Thanks!

I very much doubt you will get it cheaper than $630 - and it's probably useful to get the results of all the other stuff they check for, e.g. hepatitis immunity

Go to Red Cross for blood donation. You will know the result without paying and moreover contributed to society

shri, yhchen, HK_Katherine and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Does anywhere know where someone i.e. local doctor/hospital within the public system just to get blood test to determine blood group? We tried with insurance but they said it's not essential and the private doctor wanted HKD 3,000. My husband needs to know as I'm pregnant and have a negative blood type, if he is positive then I need to take a shot to protect the baby. And of course, he doesn't know his!

I saw online that the "pre-marital check up" at the Family Planning Association costs $630 and includes blood group but includes lots of other stuff that we don't need. But if that's the best option. will do it.

Thanks!
    I think that your obstetrician will have this covered . it won't be the first time they have a rhesus negative patient : it depends on your history as well whether you need a shot post delivery :just ask your doctor if you will need anti d after delivery :
    ray98 and shri like this.

OB said my husband needs to get his own test done. We asked already.

He can't donate blood because just moved from the UK, so banned from donating due to mad cow. We were surprised by that but it's the policy here.

Family planning it is I guess.

Groupon is a good way to get basic blood work done.

E.g:

$200 Groupon redeems: (rrp. $1998)

• A general body check-up (cholesterol, colorectal cancer by stool occult blood, liver function, inflammation, diabetes, bowel check & more – total 53 items)
    • An English / Chinese report
    • Professional consultation

HK Health Consulting General Check

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Go to one of the Government's Maternal & Child Health Centres (I am assuming you have an HKID card). Say you need an antenatal blood check.

Family Health Service - Maternal and Child Health Centres

BTW, back when I was born (when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth), this was not a routine check in the UK. Mother rhesus negative, father rhesus positive, older brother rhesus positive. Plus I was born at home. These days this would never be allowed, so do get it checked as it's very easy to prevent any complications.

shri, emx and merchantms like this.

Perfect - thanks Claire!

ok in that case your husband needs a blood test called an 'ABO&Rh typing '. just go to any GP and ask them to fill a lab form for that specific test . it's only about $150.
    just in case he can't get in to the fpa clinic