Like Tree7Likes

First holidays in Hong Kong - Need experienced help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hong Kong airport is the best in the world. from the moment you land to your home( if it located right above of airport express station), it could be just one hour. taking a airport express to the center of the city is only 25 mins. You dont want to waste your time in a cab. It's expensive and it takes forever to get anywhere.

Just so people are aware, much like all discussions regarding travel time in Hong Kong, the airport express 25 minute to city center is exaggerated or at least slightly misleading. Ive had guests show up far later than expected due to thinking they can land at HK airport and be in central in under a half hour. In reality, that rarely happens.

Give yourself a couple hours from the time you land until you get to your destination in central. This allows for time purchasing tickets, time waiting for train, time getting off train and of course time getting from central station to your actual destination.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Just so people are aware, much like all discussions regarding travel time in Hong Kong, the airport express 25 minute to city center is exaggerated or at least slightly misleading. Ive had guests show up far later than expected due to thinking they can land at HK airport and be in central in under a half hour. In reality, that rarely happens.

Give yourself a couple hours from the time you land until you get to your destination in central. This allows for time purchasing tickets, time waiting for train, time getting off train and of course time getting from central station to your actual destination.
    Cathay sells airport express tickets on board, so there is no need to waste time buying them at the airport.

The amount of waiting time, like anything, depends on when you arrive. There is a clock which says how long until the next train (when it is working)... if it says 9 minutes or so you just missed one and might as well wander down to look at the cab queue.

I too find people take ages to get through the airport - but I think most of this is because my visitors 1) check luggage (something I avoid at all costs!) and 2) don't have HK ID cards and so have to queue for immigration. That queue is often very long (from walking past it).

So rarely is the time due to transport - most of it is before you get to the transport stage!

The other thing to bear in mind is "what is my body clock"? If you are coming from somewhere with a big timezone shift, you may well be wide awake at midnight.... or half asleep at 5pm... it helps thinking about this to know whether you will be happy with a longer commute to your hotel or not on your first night!