Getting a certified marriage certificate - where, how long, cost?

Closed Thread

Getting a certified marriage certificate - where, how long, cost?

My fiancé and I will be getting married in HK next I year. He's an Australian and I'm British so we will need to get a certified copy of our wedding certificate (as we're getting hitched by a civil celebrant) in order to get an apostille so the marriage is recognised in the UK and Oz. Does anyone know what the process is for getting the marriage certificate certified - where do we have to go, how long does it take, do we have to make an appointment and how much does it cost? Any info would be very much appreciated - google hasn't helped too much so far

Are you sure you need an apostille? I thought you can simply ask the registry to give you certified copies and use these.
    When you are at the registry they ask you how many copies you want, pay some more money and you get them officially

It's all a bit confusing... Lots of different sites give different info. As we're getting married in a hotel rather than a marriage registry I thought we would need to go and get the certificate certified after the wedding. As far as I can make out, we will need to get the apostille to get the marriage recognised in the UK and Oz as they are part of the Hague Conference group of countries. I'm still not entirely sure exactly what is required...

If you are getting married in a hotel make sure the person granting the marriage is a registered justice of the peace that has the requisite license to witness and pronounce a marriage valid. You can visit the Marriage registry to get a list of these people to hire and you pick up the blank marriage cert beforehand.