Like Tree162Likes

Typhoon LINFA - T8 Later Today (9/7)

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Was the boss of Fat Angelos who said that they spent 28 days a month paying for the rent and costs of the business, leaving just a few days to actually make any profit.
    Happy to report that we actually see an increase in sales on our online shop when there is a T8.
    Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That is individual damage .. cost of doing business in HK. We have had to deal with a few complications too.

However, damage to the economy implies a large scale macro effect ... which I don't think there was.
    It 'cost' me $2000, if it had happened last week during term, double that...what I do, I put in 10 days a year for heavy rain/typhoons/electricity/other?

*edit* in my budget!

...but yes, I am one of the handful of people in HK who hope for no T8s!!!
    Last edited by Enderman; 10-07-2015 at 08:31 AM.
    Fiona in HKG and wtbhotia like this.

I think about 3 or 4 days? Illness, weather, acts of god, shit happens hangovers?

Enderman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Actually, even though I hope you are joking, what you post is true.

The HKO have proven, very publicly and expensively, that they could not forecast their way out of a wet paper bag. Their 7 day forecasts are an absolute joke.
    In that case maybe we should appoint you as the new head of the HKO. You clearly know better than them. Only then will you realize weather forecasting isn't such a simple and straightforward matter.

P.S-What record do you have to back-up your claim that their 7 day forecast is an absolute joke? You do realize weather forecasting is an imprecise art rather than perfectly accurate prediction.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 10-07-2015 at 09:06 AM.

There was considerable damage to the Causeway Bay catering economy last night. All the usually busy resteraunts in the Patterson/Food/Cleveland Street area were deserted

Was the boss of Fat Angelos who said that they spent 28 days a month paying for the rent and costs of the business, leaving just a few days to actually make any profit.

Last night the HKO would have hurt a lot of businesses.

(TB beat me to it!)
    That is life in HK. Those businesses knew they can face losses during a T8 when they opened. Its part of the business reality in HK. Now what would happen if there is a T8 with strong wind and they stayed open? What if their employees got injured or even killed? Their employers will be criminally liable. Can't happen? Don't be so sure...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 10-07-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Typhoons aside...doing business like this astonishes me and I know many folks in HK are like this...making 20k per month profit, but if they get ill, losing 150k per month or something...it's insane, it must be so stressful.

Shit, I enjoyed leaving early yesterday, as soon as I read that typhoon 8 was going to be hoisted message, i legged it out off the office and i wasnt even the 1st one LOL.

Even managed to go to Ikea in mega box, park in the 30mins free Ikea car park, rush inside to buy a baby high chair and rush back out and leg it to Cheung Sha wan to pick up the kid and then back to da jungles of Clear water bay in 1 hour total.

4.30 pm I was in my garden in my shorts, belly hanging out, having a smoke and mind numbing myself with candy crush soda Woohoo

Cho-man likes this.

heard that my local park and shop was an absolutely isht show yesterday late afternoon, everyone was buying cup of noodles and frozen meats with no carriages in sight!

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Typhoons aside...doing business like this astonishes me and I know many folks in HK are like this...making 20k per month profit, but if they get ill, losing 150k per month or something...it's insane, it must be so stressful.
    @Enderman - you got to read this:

HONG KONG’S RESTAURANT BUSINESS: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE FUGLY | Fasttrack
    wtbhotia, Enderman and Football16 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11