Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By drumbrake
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque

ParknShop (and probably Wellcome) Price Discrepancies

Closed Thread

ParknShop (and probably Wellcome) Price Discrepancies

A rant...

Quite frequently when I shop in ParknShop (I'm sure Wellcome is little better) there is a price discrepancy between what is displayed on the shelf, and what I am charged at the checkout. It is rarely in my favour. When I spot the discrepancy at the checkout, the cashier and myself need to go to the aisle, get the price tag, and then go back to the check out where the cashier does a manual discount. Sometime I am incorrect, and the product has been displayed on the shelf with the wrong price label under it, but we don't find out until the bar code is scanned, and then compared to the bar code on the product - am I supposed to manually check the bar code of the price label and the product before proceeding to check out?

Whenever I point out a price discrepancy (in those cases when I am correct), the local staff are always polite about it and charge me the correct amount. So, I have no complaint with them, but I do have a complaint with the higher level management at ParknShop who have a constantly changing pricing based on special offers and multi-buys. I don't remember the supermarket being charged any penalties for wrong charging - although I'd hope it's against the law in Hong Kong. What I'd like to see is much stiffer penalties for the supermarkets when this happens - hopefully that would mean simpler pricing without the discrepancies.

z754103, BCD and Elegiaque like this.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Any item at Wellcome is labelled
    "special price"
    when you point out that it has been always this price you might be lucky and really get a better price

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Yeah it definitely happens, kind of a pain if the store is big and they need to go far. But I've done it before quite a few times. When you buy fresh foods wrapped, I've even bargained the prices on them sometimes, but to the person wrapping it, not the register.

Don't think there is any consumer protection law, otherwise you'd have the locals lined up one by one once a problem is found to take advantage of the savings.

Last time I had a yoghurt at Wellcome with special price of $30. Normal price according to the tag below it: $28

Elegiaque and Morrison like this.

Probably best thing to do is create a Facebook page for shaming where people can share such photos. Is there a consumer protection bureau in Hong Kong?
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Just face it, whenever you go into a Wellcome or Park'n'Shop (or any of their derivatives) you're getting screwed on price

This is not unique to HK, it exists wherever the market is a near monopoly (see Coles and Woolworths in Australia)

Strangely, the coffee I normally buy is usually $70-80. Had been around $70 for the longest time, then Park N'Shop went up to $85. Stopped buying it there. Went back down to $70. NOW it's $40!!! We did once get a lot of free chicken nuggets because it didn't ring up right.

You really have to just watch your receipt carefully every time.

Park N Shop, Fusion, Taste, Welcome, Market Place, they are all the same. I have complained so many times to Park N Shop I've lost count. The supermarket at Silverstrand is a disgrace. Goods carts blocking the aisles, frozen food left on the carts which start to defrost, then they pack them under the frozen goods, prices that change by the day, staff sitting at checkouts texting on their mobile phones. Always check that frozen food is actually frozen. I've seen chicken pies, speciality breads, sausages, croissants and vegetables that are soft! This is a health hazard as well as poor management. Check fire exits too. Most are used for storage. Write and complain, it's all we can do. Or, report them to FEHD. They MUST investigate.