Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Small business phone systems

Closed Thread

Small business phone systems

Hi all

Any recommendations for a Hong Kong based companies providing virtual PABXs/Hosted VOIP solutions for small businesses?

All the usual fixed lines and value added players (Wharf, New T&T, HGC etc) offer virtual PABX.

PCCW - PCCW one communications - Service Plan

HGC - Voice Service

I found hosted VoIP a bit painful ... the voice quality suffers a fair bit if its not a well tuned system.

I guess I might be asking myself (if we were to set up afresh again) - do I really need a phone system? Whenever I call any of my staff I use their mobiles. I make pretty much all my outgoing calls on Skype. If I want to talk to them in the office I walk over and talk to them.... Almost nobody rings our switchboard, they all ring the mobile numbers listed on business cards. So before you go and spend a fortune on a new system, you might just think about if you need it, or if you really just need two lines (reception and perhaps a conference phone line).

Depends on the business. We get about 20-40 calls a day on numbers published on various sites.

If we were not running a business where our numbers needed to be public, I'd not be spending the money we spend on our lines.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Thanks for the replies everyone and for the recommendations Shri. PCCW don't return calls but will definitely try HGC

Best

Alan

Try wharf and new T&T, also PCCW one seem to be more responsive than your regular pccw Hotline.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I found hosted VoIP a bit painful ... the voice quality suffers a fair bit if its not a well tuned system.
    It's fine on HKBN (with a 100M line). Can't tell any different at all.

@flameproof - but there is no quality of service assurance. What works one day does not work the other day if someone is using that line to do massive file transfers etc.

Unless you have a circuit for VOIP traffic, not something I recommend. But the same applies for any hosted solution too.

Centrex (forget what they call it .. City something) are an option for externally managed regular phone lines with transfering and some basic PABX features.

Got cold called by these guys recently.

No idea if they are any good.

https://www.spaxtel.com/