Sim locked phones in HK?

Closed Thread

Sim locked phones in HK?

Hi

So, I was under the impression that all phones in HK were generally unlocked, even the Jesus phone.

However, a few days ago, I see this news article about PCCW taking Apple to court over locked Jesus phone 5.

Eh??

http://www.scmp.com/news/article/115...-phone-locking

Apparently not!

Well, I guess the nice thing about being part of an evil tycoon oligarchy is that you have a good chance of "levelling the playing field"...for the benefit of consumers, of course!

Hong Kong's a pretty lucrative market for Apple. Wonder what the chances are they'll make an exception to the rule?

Who owns Apple?

Didn't read the article, but if it's the same stuff going around the net, then the terms they use are incorrect.

All phones are unlocked in HK, it's just when the iPhone5 rolled out, PCCW failed to meet the LTE standards set by Apple. They can still use the phone, but Internet access is just 3G.

There's a more complex answer. By meeting Apples LTE standards, mobile carriers have to start abandoning their 2G base of users, and there's less and less of them now. The company that owns PCCW still has a large base of 2G users and are either not willing to force them go to 3G or adapt to the frequency used by Apple.

Are all phones in Hong Kong sold on an unlocked basis then?

Why are there no network locked phones in HK?

Thanks

probably the reason why is that a large proportion of phone sell here unlocked is that many hk people travel china often a require unlocked phone

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Are all phones in Hong Kong sold on an unlocked basis then?

Why are there no network locked phones in HK?

Thanks
    Yup all unlocked here.

Only thing I've had locked is a 1010 wifi box