Like Tree5Likes

Where to buy an RCD extension power cable

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to buy an RCD extension power cable

Hi,

I'm looking for one of these. I've asked a dozen hardware stores in Wanchai and they all looked at me like I was showing them a picture of Bigfoot. I know HK tradesmen are a bit rough and ready when it comes to safety, but surely I expected the hardware stores, especially the ones specializing in power-tools, to stock these.

Any ideas, preferably on the island?

BTW, funny thing: If I Google image search "RCD cable" I get hundreds of images like this one. If I search "RCD cable HK" I get zero!

Maybe HK power doesn't zap people?

Quote Originally Posted by MyCsPiTTa:
    Hi,

I'm looking for one of these. I've asked a dozen hardware stores in Wanchai and they all looked at me like I was showing them a picture of Bigfoot. I know HK tradesmen are a bit rough and ready when it comes to safety, but surely I expected the hardware stores, especially the ones specializing in power-tools, to stock these.

Any ideas, preferably on the island?

BTW, funny thing: If I Google image search "RCD cable" I get hundreds of images like this one. If I search "RCD cable HK" I get zero!

Maybe HK power doesn't zap people?
    reason being, 90% of homes in HK have built in RCB on the mains circuit, unlike a lot of properties in the west as homes in the western countries could pre date over a 100 years and many still use fuses which are not as safe in regards electrical shocks
    MyCsPiTTa likes this.

imparanoic and MyCsPiTTa like this.

漏電斷路器拖板

print this and ask the shops again, show a picture as well, note, it's not common and chances, hk island may not have it

are you willing to go to Kowloon for it

MyCsPiTTa likes this.

MyCsPiTTa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    reason being, 90% of homes in HK have built in RCB on the mains circuit, unlike a lot of properties in the west as homes in the western countries could pre date over a 100 years and many still use fuses which are not as safe in regards electrical shocks
    I can't speak for everywhere, but NZ definitely has RCDs in the swtichboard of every home. Actually, my theory forming for why these are so hard to findis that the power supply of HK has so much fluctuation that these RCDs would constantly trip out. That's also why (unlike NZ) appliances here always have fuses built into the plug - because the shoddy wiring of HK apartments cannot be relied on to prevent a meltdown fire on overload.

Thanks everyone for the help. I didn't know there were any electronics megastores here (other than Golden Centre).

Quote Originally Posted by MyCsPiTTa:
    I can't speak for everywhere, but NZ definitely has RCDs in the swtichboard of every home. Actually, my theory forming for why these are so hard to findis that the power supply of HK has so much fluctuation that these RCDs would constantly trip out. That's also why (unlike NZ) appliances here always have fuses built into the plug - because the shoddy wiring of HK apartments cannot be relied on to prevent a meltdown fire on overload.
    Residual-Current Device (RCD) does not provide protection against voltage fluctuation, don't go to the wrong direction to solve the problem

reasons for RCD trip out is the leakage current (residual-current) of your appliance, the leakage current is more than 30mA

check out which electrical appliances are the cause of the RCD trip out, e.g. electrical heater

Hong Kong use British standard, it also use 13A-fused power plug

My purpose is I need an extension cable for outdoor use, specifically on a boat, so I think an RCD is what I require. I still don't see convincing reason why something like this wouldn't be just as necessary in HK and anywhere else in the world.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast