Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By dumbdonkey
  • 1 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By flameproof

HK equivalent of Home Depot/ Lowe's?

Closed Thread

HK equivalent of Home Depot/ Lowe's?

I'm looking to buy some PVC pipes and junction fittings, foam pipe insulation.
    Anyone know a relatively cheap hardware (??) store around the area?

Thanks,
    Jacqueline

Your local hardware store probably carries them on some string hidden on a hook in the ceiling. Have a photo of what you are looking for ready on your phone.

For the plumbing districts
    Hong Kong side - Lockhart Road in Wanchai
    Kowloon side - Portland street in Mongkok

Sounds like an average hardware store.

I suggest to walk around with open eyes. There are many near the area too.

Ahh if home depot, hardware house or Leroy Merlin set up shop in Hong Kong I would be soooooo happy....i love wandering around those sort of one stop everything under the one roof, destination stores.

Sadly though, this business model just does not work in Hong Kong, or most of Asia in general for that matter. Mainland China seems to be the exception to the rule as they do have MEGA warehouse sized destination stores.

Shenzhen has a very localised version, which again is different to what I am usually used to, but certainly better than what we have in HKG/Macau etc.

Lockhart road Causeway Bay or Shanghai Street Mong Kok you will find a number of ' small ' shops that sell generic hardware bits n bobs, but you might need to visit 3 or 4 different shops to get exactly what you are after. Best to copy photos online of the items you are after and store them on you phone to show the local shop owners what you are after. My wife doesnt even know the colloquial terms for a lot of hardware items that local tradesmen know. If you show photo's they will know what you are on about.

Last edited by Skyhook; 29-06-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Open Casket likes this.

Well, there was B&Q in Hong Kong which unfortunately closed down a few years ago.

imparanoic likes this.

No big box stores in Hong Kong really. There is an Ikea, that is the closest thing. China does have Walmarts and there is one right across the border.

Hong Kong is a train, bus and bag culture. The big box stores work well if you can pull up in your SUV and load a bunch of stuff in the trunk, but in Hong Kong most can only buy what they can carry. People tend to buy by the day, not by the week.

Jacqueline, almost any side street near where you live is likely to have one of these hardware "ng kam" shops.

those are not pinatas

The older streets around Sheung Wan and Western districts have them too. Plus very helpful staff if you can speak Cantonese or bring a Cantonese speaking friend.