Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By hullexile

"£300,000 house buying money was stolen"

Closed Thread

"£300,000 house buying money was stolen"

Interesting story in the Telegraph - couple receives an email from their solicitors claiming that their usual client account is being audited and the email provides a new account to which they should transfer their funds.

Obviously they were were not suspicious about this ... but I it raises a question. How could Natwest allow funds to be deposited into an account if the company name was not the same? If it was the same as the law firm, then how was that account opened?

'Our £300,000 house buying money was stolen' - Telegraph

Reminds me of this case ..

Gambling lawyer in Hong Kong’s biggest fraud case jailed for 12 years | South China Morning Post

We have some clients at the moment who have had their email accounts hacked and the hackers have frequently contacted us asking to make transfers to third party accounts whilst mimicking our clients.

Scary ... I think I'm going back to the days of sending Telex messages.

At least they managed to get the majority of it back!

There was a phone scam here last week, and they phoned me unsuccessfully. A man calls claiming to be a police officer from London. He says they have arrested a man who has a bank card in your name and says you should immediately call the bank. You put the phone down but they don't. You think you are calling the bank and hear the phone at the other end ring (in reality this ringing is a tape recording and you are still on the same line) and "the bank" answers. After going through all the security checks they ask you to transfer your money to a temporary secure account. They managed to clear out a few people's accounts.

shri, bookblogger and wtbhotia like this.

Had a middle-eastern textiles manufacturer go out of business because one of its supplier's employees went rogue, and convinced them to send money to a new bank account in their "taiwan branch" (note: they didn't have a taiwan branch). He cleared a few million pounds, removed the cash from taiwan and is believed to be somewhere in China now. Was very sad to see the management of the textiles company resigned to having to close their business up.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    There was a phone scam here last week, and they phoned me unsuccessfully. A man calls claiming to be a police officer from London. He says they have arrested a man who has a bank card in your name and says you should immediately call the bank. You put the phone down but they don't. You think you are calling the bank and hear the phone at the other end ring (in reality this ringing is a tape recording and you are still on the same line) and "the bank" answers. After going through all the security checks they ask you to transfer your money to a temporary secure account. They managed to clear out a few people's accounts.
    I have read and heard about this scam in the past, cant believe its still happening.