Like Tree42Likes

Hong Kong's 2015 IB Results

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    test scores, really? You've had an employer ask about test scores? I never have.

communication skills FAR more important than test scores
    Me neither - but they HAVE asked about which university I went to. My choice of which was highly dependent on my test scores in order to gain admittance!
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    test scores, really? You've had an employer ask about test scores? I never have.

communication skills FAR more important than test scores
    Are you fucking kidding?

Test scores plays a big role (unless u r some aport genius) whether u get to Harvad or fucking Phoenix.university...and if u want to check Harvard or Canbridge alumni vs phoenix alumni be my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Me neither!
    thanks, glad you agree

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Are you fucking kidding?

Test scores plays a big role (unless u r some aport genius) whether u get to Harvad or fucking Phoenix.university...and if u want to check Harvard or Canbridge alumni vs phoenix alumni be my guest.
    Test scores are only one component. They also assess your character and your ability to handle different situations. As for getting into Ivy League or Oxbridge, test scores only get you into the first step of consideration, they also look at your non-school activities and again, your personality. Those elite institutions have turned away numerous perfect score applicants because they lack life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Test scores are only one component. They also assess your character and your ability to handle different situations. As for getting into Ivy League or Oxbridge, test scores only get you into the first step of consideration, they also look at your non-school activities and again, your personality. Those elite institutions have turned away numerous perfect score applicants because they lack life experiences.
    Agreed - universities consider much more than just test scores. However, without good test scores you wouldn't even be in the running. So they are a critical component to gain admission, not the ONLY component, but possibly one of the most important.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Agreed - universities consider much more than just test scores. However, without good test scores you wouldn't even be in the running. So they are a critical component to gain admission, not the ONLY component, but possibly one of the most important.
    I never said it was not an important component. But my point is that those pure study machines that don't know anything else beyond the score on their exam cannot get into the best colleges.

As for job applications, it depends on the field, but in my experience test scores don't really matter as much. They are more interested in the college you went to than a specific score.
    Open Casket likes this.

Anyone in this thread go through the IB program? I did, but not in HK. Congratulations to those kids, they earned it. IB exams are very different from SAT or even AP exams. The individuals in my graduating classes that were socially awkward and spent all day studying turned into fine human beings, despite their perfect scores (as is the sentiment in this thread).

Mat and Editor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    No one disagrees with that so no need to argue

you need the test first to get you to the door, no test no door.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    No one disagrees with that so no need to argue

you need the test first to get you to the door, no test no door.
    True. Not looking for an argument.

Just wondering, there are many successful people who never did particularly well in school yet succeded in life. They have ample talent and ability which aren't reflected in their (lack of) academic aptitude.

But in HK, the accepted road to success is too rigid. If there were somehow more opportunity for those less academically gifted, then society as a whole would benefit from maximizing their hidden talents.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-07-2015 at 11:10 AM.
    Skyhook and Open Casket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    Anyone in this thread go through the IB program? I did, but not in HK. Congratulations to those kids, they earned it. IB exams are very different from SAT or even AP exams. The individuals in my graduating classes that were socially awkward and spent all day studying turned into fine human beings, despite their perfect scores (as is the sentiment in this thread).
    You didn't go to school in Hong Kong. That is the key point.....
    Cho-man likes this.