Like Tree4Likes

How to get married in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How to get married in HK?

Hi

Can anyone help explain the process of getting married in a registry office here? My understanding is that you need to book an "appointment" 3 months in advance (?) to then get a date for your wedding slot at the wedding registry.

Is it possible to get married here in LESS than that time?

And, no, its not so one of us can stay in HK, we have jobs already (And residency is not an issue when it comes to getting married here, I understand)

Cheers for any help!

All the details you could want here: http://wedding.esdlife.com/home/eng/default.asp

Thanks, PDLM.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to get married sooner than 3 months away though? (eg has anyone done it?) The only stuff I seem to be able to look at is when it's between the "selectable range" .. so can't find out if any offices have cancelled bookings/empty times etc.

Really I am asking whether anyone has had any success with doing this?

Thanks again

You can get married after 2 weeks

Hi,

After registering, they have to post your request for 2 weeks,so you just have to wait for 2 weeks, after that you can get any available date in the wedding venues. I guess you can even go for church wedding, but I dont know how the procedure is. But normally the procedure is very easy in Hong Kong. We got married in 3 weeks after registering it.

Nese

You have to get married WITHIN 3 months of it being registred, or else you have to go through the whole procedure again.

Hi the church I work for is one that can do weddings if anyone needs the details then check out our website as it explains the procedure. For booking.
    Church wedding is more expensive in Hong Kong due to there being a limited number of churches who are able to marry people in Hong Kong. Our church does up to four weddings per saturday which, if you see the elaborate flower arrangements the Chinese put up , is a lot.

website is www.mic-hk.org

Regards Tony

Hi,
    Got married in a registry office myself 6 weeks ago. If you want to get married sooner than 3 months you need to go to the registry office itself. We went down to Births Deaths and Marriages 3 times before we got in to make a booking. All these places have quotas.

We finally got our appointment, though it a was really frustrating and annoying experience, to give notice we arrived at the Queensway offices at 3am only to find, yet again, mainlanders sleeping there and taking all the quota spaces. They are an organised group. Depending on the quota, they arrange for that amount of people to go and sleep there. If you want one of their spaces you have to pay them. After being there 3 nights we finally caved and paid a guy $200 for his spot. We met a guy who had been down there every morning from 4am for 7 nights and still couldn't get a spot.

It is really frustrating, the police came but didn't do anything to move these people on so there really was no other way for us to get a spot other than to pay them!!!!!

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by ucheeva; 01-06-2006 at 12:33 PM.

wedding in hk

Hi,

Im planning to get married in hk, oct 2010, Ive been looking for info on internet but Im still not 100% on how to go about getting things started. I live in the uk and it says At least 17 days prior to the intended marriage, one or both parties should go in person to the marriage registry (if they are planning a ceremony at a marriage registry or in a place of worship) or make their application directly to their civil celebrant of marriages (if that is the route chosen).would i have to go to hong kong 17 days before my marriage takes place and go in person to the registry or can i do it online?:

I don't think you can do it online if you want to use the marriage registry, but I believe you can do it remotely by email (with scans of documents etc) if you are using a Civil Celebrant - they handle all the local bureaucracy for you. We used Don Vong at Vongs (although I did visit their office before the ceremony, but I think that was to give them a deposit for their service because we were short on time - because you have more time you could wait for a bank transfer to clear).

Like PDLM I went in person but my wife did not. I can't remember if I had to sign anything beforehand so not sure if it can be done by email or not. Certainly they were happy to wait for originals of documents until the day itself.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast